Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

I got a 1/144 Real grade kit for Christmas and although it was a fun build it was a little on the small side for me, it did however spark an interest in these Bandai robot kits so I git this as its a bit bigger than the real grade ones.

how it will turn out is anyone's guess but the only way I'm going to find out is by getting stuck in. I know nothing about the Universe these are from other than its from a Japanese cartoon that I haven't watched, but it's a box full of parts like any other kit so I'm hoping that provided I follow the pictures in the construction manual I will end up with a big robot at the end

20180310_104407

Im not going to take pics of all the sprues as there are a ton of them, it's a big box and its crammed full.

there are some metal parts in there along with little bags full of screws, springs and what looks like LED lighting. One disappointment is the markings are stickers and not water slide decals.

20180310_104455

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

This is the little fella that is responsible for me getting this kit

20180310_105011

And with my hand to give a sense of scale

20180310_105041

Very nice but alas just a bit on the small side for me old mince pies these days as I make my way through this year toward my half century.

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

One thing that I am aware of with bandai kits is that some the material used doesn't play well with enamel and lacquer based paints.

i remember seeing some starwars kits falling apart after a wash being applied ( yikes ! )

in the instructions Bandai helpfully print a map of all the sprues and also what material they are made of

20180310_112106

After a quick scan through the sprues it seems that the majority of the inner frame is abs, the outer armour is styrene and there are a smattering of poly vinyl bits that are used to hold it all together

seeing as how I tend to use cellulose for the majority of my thinning needs, I felt it prudent to do a quick test to make sure nothing would dissolve or burst into flames 5 minutes after I started painting.

I snipped off a bit of abs and poly vinyl from the edge of the sprue and had at them with some mr surfacer and a goodly dollop of lacquer thinner

20180310_115519

I left the parts sit a while after painting and when I went back to them nothing untoward had happened.

the poly vinyl didn't melt but the primer flaked of easily with a rub of the finger.

20180314_122606

Im not planning to paint any of the parts made of this material and most of them will be hidden away from view once the model is finished but there are a few that will be in the path of paint and I wanted to make sure that nothing terrible would happen if they did get any paint on them.

the primer stuck to the abs like a barmaid to a sailor on pay day so a win there, and I gave it a good bending and it didn't snap so the thinner doesn't appear to have weakened it although I was careful to lay in thin coats and not blast it with the airbrush.

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Brundledonk said:

One thing that I am aware of with bandai kits is that some the material used doesn't play well with enamel and lacquer based paints.

After a lot of mucking around, I think it's *mostly* not the plastics but the style of construction. Because the kits are snap-together there are a lot of parts fitted by friction pegs. Pushing the parts together creates tiny stress cracks in the plastic (you can see it goes white) and enamel thinner and even superglue will get into these invisible cracks and cause them to propagate. The forces in the joint then break the pieces apart.

There are a few which help avoid this:

* Ease all the push-fit parts to a gentle press-fit (less force means fewer or no cracks.)

* Solvent weld the friction pins (the glue melts the plastic so it either doesn't crack, or reforms after cracking?)

* Paint and weather the parts before assembly (no stress cracks means the enamel doesn't penetrate.)

NB: The "mostly" is because I think I've seen parts crack along flow lines with Bandai kits, but that's less common. With me it's happened with thin CA on a couple of different kits. I've fixed the problems and filled the cracks with more CA and haven't had further cracking.

FWIW I haven't had any problem with lacquer paints at all, I used a lot of Alclad and decanted Tamiya paints on Bandai kits.

HTH,

Will

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice Will, I have been worrying that the hot thinners would have a negative impact in the plastic but what you've said makes perfect sense and has put my mind at rest.

im taking time to be careful and avoid painting any of the connection pins and sockets as I did a little bit of dry fitting and while the parts go together well they do require a bit of force to push them home.

im going to paint this as I go along page by page in the instructions, it will take longer and mean a fair bit of back and forth with colours but there are just too many parts to try and keep track of if I prime and paint in one go and I'm certain I'd lose some

Pete

• Like 1

righty Ho then time to sling some paint about. 

All the parts for page 1 were snipped from the sprues, cleaned up and a lick of primer sprayed on

gundam kebabs

20180314_125558

Main parts for the shoulder were sprayed gloss black and then with alclad aircraft aluminium 

20180314_141957

These bits go behind the bit on the shoulder that has the Phillips screw head moulded in. Not much can be seen once fiited so I didn't bother to mask, I just want a different tone to show through so I went freehand hence the overspray. The raised bits around the edge were picked out with aluminium 

20180314_150653

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

All put togeher and mostly hidden. It took a fair bit of pushing and pulling on my part to get it done and in the process a lot of the alclad rubbed off. 

20180314_160930

In the pic above it looks like it's rubbed off back to black, but it hasn't removed it completely and depending on how the light catches it it's still very reflective and metalic

20180314_181939

• Like 2

I went back in with a brush and a drop of aluminium and gold  to cover the worst bits and help to break things up a bit

20180314_215536

Not as much bling as I was planning but it looks OK in hand. 

20180314_215911

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

So I'm binning the gloss black/reflective metal idea as its not going to be up to the handling this kit requires to put it together.

parts for the next stage were sprayed steel over the primer amd details picked out in various metalic colours

20180315_121346

20180315_121357

Same deal with the bits for the next stage 

20180315_122659

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

All put together

20180315_123614

And in with the aluminium on the raised bits type thing

20180315_125731

knee bone connected to the thigh bone ( elbow to shoulder in this case ) and page 1 is pretty much a done deal

20180315_133028

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

Yeah that frame is looking really good. From what I've read this is supposed to be one of the best if not the best PG kit :)

I've found that doing some sponge chipping is really helpful because it disguises the wear marks from assembling or posing. Especially if it's in the same kind of colour range as the plastic!

Cheers,

Will

On 15 March 2018 at 10:16 PM, Will Vale said:

Yeah that frame is looking really good. From what I've read this is supposed to be one of the best if not the best PG kit :)

I've found that doing some sponge chipping is really helpful because it disguises the wear marks from assembling or posing. Especially if it's in the same kind of colour range as the plastic!

Cheers,

Will

Cheers Will 

this is one of the earlier perfect grade Gundams I believe, I don't know what the newer ones are like but the frame on this is very well detailed. I just got a GP-01 perfect grade as well, hopefully it's a nice as this kit. The box it comes in is huge so I'm hoping there is a lot of nice stuff in there 

yes i I may need to add some weathering here and there in the frame as I think posing is going to rub away the finish at some of the joints. 

Ive got the assembly of the hands coming up, is it safe to paint those as I have the frame ? I think they are moulded in the same plastic the only difference I can see is that they are moulded as moving joints similar to the frame on the real grade.

Pete

• Like 1

Made a bit more progress on the Gundam so time for an update. 

The Devil makes work for idle hands and Bandai makes hands that are a devil to work with. They are moulded joints similar to how they were done on the real grade kit, but where they were one piece on that kit they are separate fingers here

20180321_123106

I was blown away with the dark magic that Bandai use to make moving joints that are moulded in one piece when I saw them on the real grade so these weren't so much of a suprise and as this is a much older kit the engineering used obviously isn't as advanced. You can see on this one how it's achieved and it's done by injecting two different materials on 2 sprues ( on the real grade it must be done the same way but it's on a single runner )

20180321_123131

The devilish part is cleaning up the sprue attachment points there's a fair few on each digit and the material doesn't sand as nice as styrene

20180321_123144

The hands go together easily enough but it honestly took me an age to get to this stage due to the clean up.

still not perfect but good enough for me

20180321_123201

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

With that bit done it was out with the Mr surfacer for a quick prime and then based with Alcald jet exhaust

20180322_130655

Then alclad aluminium as a top coat but instead of an even covering I tried my best to stay in the centres of the fingers to allow the darker base to show though to give a bit of shade

20180322_131907

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 7

As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm building and painting this as I work through each stage of the instructions. in a regular kit I kind of go my own way and figure out parts that will be the same colour and work out out what subassemblies I can build and paint but  there are just so many parts here that I don't think I could do it that way and not lose anything, also it would take more space than I can spare to mount up all the bits for spraying in one go. So I needed to paint a few of the coloured and armoured parts now.

these bits go around the thrusters in the shoulder and need to be yellow so I primed White and then repsol orange 

20180322_012706

I did did this as the yellow I have isn't deep enough on its own to look like the Gundam yellow and also although it doesn't show well in the picture there is a subtle orange tone that works nicely as a shade tone

20180322_013617

The armour parts for the arms are going to white and I did a bit of preshading to add some variation and although I'm not going to weather it to death I want it to show some signs of age and use. 

20180322_151523

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

One problem with the way I'm going about this is I'm not entirely sure how much will be visible once it's in place.

i spent a fair bit of time on 2 of these little bits for the forearm and hardly any of it can be seen. But I did them and took pics so I'm posting them lol

20180322_152238

Just these hoses are visible and only when the elbow is fully bent closed ( why do we do this to ourselves ? It's the same in cockpits. Tons of little details and mostly hidden forever once closed up in the fuselage lol)

20180322_152248

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

Everything snapped together and we've got a complete arm!, It's bigger than the whole of the real grade Gundam lol.

hand for scale

20180322_170007

20180322_165956

next stage is the legs and I've had a read though of the instructions and there is a lot to do and it all looks very complex. So I think I'll have a few stiff drinks tonight to steel myself for the journey into legdom. 

Will snap a few piccies as I go along and will be back once I've got something to show 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 10

On 23 March 2018 at 8:17 AM, Hunter Rose said:

Really enjoying watching this come together, really nice paint

Thanks Hunter, I think I chose well with this kit and it should make a nice display piece one finished with a bit of luck 

Pete