Help!

Harrywilliams

I've. been making a 1/32 Tornado Gr1 from Revell and long story short, I've used too much glue in the nose cone section and it's melted the plastic too a bendable substance! Thankfully it's not effected the entire nose cone but does anyone have any suggestions as too how to fix this? I can't get a replacement in time for the competition (6 weeks left) and was thinking of cutting the effect bits out and then using something too replace it?

IMG_2857.jpg
upload image

• Like 1

Harry your in the wrong section but I'm sure the mods will move it to the correct one ASAP. I've had this happen but to a lesser extent if you can't replace it

leave it a week or two and crack on with the rest it should eventually harden and can be filled with your putty of choice and sanded.

• Thanks 1

my mistake, I was thinking about leaving the glue to dry but having gotten back from school it does seem that it's getting worse, I'm debating cutting the effected parts of and then coming up with a solution.

%5Burl=https://ibb.co/mszqCx%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://preview.ibb.co/n1QVCx/IMG_2886.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

Edited by Harrywilliams

I've moved it for you, but if you post any topics in the wrong place, could you report them in future please?  Makes it more likely you'll get a Mod coming along to get it moved than just mentioning it in the topic :)

As Steve says, unless you can get a replacement part, I'd let it set up and then slap some filler on it, being careful not to use too much in one layer if it's thinners based (Tamiya Basic Putty, Mr Putty, etc.), as you might get softening again.  Sand it back smooth, prime and then paint.  Job done :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's still bendy, then it could take a small age to cure through / harden enough to allow you to do anything with it. Do you have Milliput or similar two-part epoxy paste type filler to hand? Do you have an electric drill and a something like an M4 bolt?

What I would do in your position is:

Get Milliput, plasticard, M4 bolt approximately 20mm long

1) Carefully measure the diameter of the base of the nose cone. I'd then cut a plastic disc the right size, hand a 4mm hole the centre of it.

2) Cut a female profile of the cone from plastic sheet. You want to be able to offer the plasticard profile to the cone and it make a good template of the nose profile.

3) Slip the bolt in the hole, tack it with superglue then put a big lump of milliput on the disc covering the bolt head and providing enough material to shape the entire nosecone from.

4) The bolt shank sticking out then goes into the electric drill chuck

5) Spin the "cone" in the drill and rough the shape out with a coarse sanding block using the plasticard profile as a guide.

6) Finish up then glue the whole thing onto the front of Revell Tonka. If necessary, the bolt shank might need hacksawn off if it clashes with the cockpit.

If you can't do that, I would still strongly advocate a 2-part epoxy type filler, because a solvent based 1-part filler will make your molten plastic problem worse. If the plastic is still soft, cut it away. You'll never be able to sand filler down that goes on top of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My apologies Mike it's a bad habit of mine! :) 

Thanks Gents for the suggestions, I'll make sure to try your ideas, fortunately I picked up some 2 part epoxy filler while in the UK so I'll go ahead and use that!

Hopefully the Tonka will be ready for the competition, I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Now... what colour sceme should I choose?  😁

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd let it set up and then slap some filler on it, being careful not to use too much in one layer if it's thinners based (Tamiya Basic Putty, Mr Putty, etc.), as you might get softening again.  Sand it back smooth, prime and then paint.  Job done :coolio:

Actually did the same to my current WIP. I put a shaft into the spinner on my P-40. I let it set hard then slapped some layers of filler on it. Sanded smooth now you wont know after its painted. Its my Rookie mistake on this build. I haven't done that in 30+ years of building. Proves we all goof from time to time. 

Dennis