Original Airfix jet provost T3

speedbird

Hi guys. Does anyone know how accurate the original jet provos kit from Airfix was? It has leading edge wing fillets that were seen on early provosts and would the decals in the kit be relevant or are they fictitious? In other words can the kit and decals be used to represent an actual early RAF provost?

I’ve just read the bits in ‘From Jet Provost to Strikemaster’.

The 3rd pre-production T Mk 2 (G-23-1) became the prototype T Mk 3.  Rearranged cockpit with central instrument panel, single piece clear vision wind screen with Mk 2 sliding hood.  A photograph shows ot with the wing fillet.

the fillet remained on some early production aircraft.  The T Mk3 was fitted for wing tip tanks and the cockpit for MB Mk 4P ejection seats.  The Rebecca Mk8 was fitted.

I don't know when but, yes, you are correct: at some stage she had the wing root fillets removed and was repainted.  Here's a pic of her in later life.  No fillets and a very different colourscheme:  https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1051280

Sadly, here's a pic of her at the end of her life in another colourscheme: http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p1051974450/h63C9E1AA#h63c9e1aa

David

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Sadly, here's a pic of her at the end of her life in another colourscheme: http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p1051974450/h63C9E1AA#h63c9e1aa

David

"RAF Hunting Jet Provost T.3 XM346 dumped at Thorney Island"

Interesting photo.

The kit is actually pretty accurate in shape, and compares well with the new one

Thanks for all the help chaps... no point building the old Airfix kit then really if the RAF never used the provost with the leading edge fillets or the decals in the kit don’t represent an operational service aircraft. Pitty I quite fancied the wing fillets as they’re something different

You could always build one and include it as a theme showing the development of the type from piston Provost to the Mk.5/Strikemaster though.

You are right of course and the thought had crossed my mind. However it wouldn’t really fit in with my collection as they’re all ( apart from the TSR2)  examples aircraft from operational or training units

You could always try to find a pic of another early airframe with fillets in service. The AB photo was taken in 1962, and the tables here suggest a) she spent her early life on tests and b)  the fillets may have been removed in 1961, as the airframes received some undisclose mods in that year. BTW, thanks for making me look a bit and coming across that very nice site :happy:

The first batch of pre-production Jet Provost T Mk.3s, ie, those fitted with wing fillets, were jointly issued to No.2 FTS at Syerston and CFS at Little Rissington in June / July 1959. I can't confirm if those delivered to No.2 FTS were issued with code letters immediately but the six acquired by the CFS were XM355: R-A, XM356:R-B, XM357:R-C, XM359: R-D, XM360:R-E and XM361:R-F

Help, I don't even recall Airfix doing an original JP,  I've a couple of the new ones though, what was the deal with the wing fillets, I'm guessing stall behaviour but could be well wide of the mark?

Steve.

It was a cute little kit, first released in 1960 or 61, no frills, quite clean, and thankfully neither got the rivet treatment on release or afterwards. Its last incarnation was in a Gunze-Airfix box in 1980/1 I think (or possibly as Airfix Toltoys slightly later?). Not to be confused with the 1973 JP5/Strikemaster , and NO, its mould was NOT converted into the latter as has been claimed by some. The JP3 has always been relatively scarce, which may explain your lack of recollection.

Thanks for that, being non WW2 British or Fleet Air Arm it obviously never made it onto my radar. :) I've had a fair google about & found a few photos of these with wing fillets & old kits going for silly prices & even sillier postage on ebay but nothing to say WHY the wing fillets disappeared after the first few, its not even as though the piston provost has them. I wouldn't be hard to modify the new kit to one of these if one was after one. (thinking) :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz