Tropical TWIN OTTER

Hoping to finally show winter the door with something a bit breezy and tropical: the Revell (ex-Matchbox) DHC-6-300 Twin Otter, in the sunny livery of InterCaribbean (formerly Turks & Caicos) Airlines.

26926178448_0f4fde47ae_b.jpg

As one of Matchbox's better late issues, the kit holds up reasonably well in its current Revell/Germany release. Old options still included are skis and floats as landing gear alternatives, and choice of the blunt short nose (used on military aircraft) or the longer tapered 'shovel' nose I used on my civil build. Build was pretty much out-of-box, with a few minor add-ons.

The kit's completely blank cabin got some basic 'seat shapes' to have something visible through all those windows. I slipped several fishing sinkers into the nose, to keep her solidly on all three wheels. The simplified landing gear itself got a semblance of brakes for the main wheels, and scissors for the nose strut to replace the solid triangular chunk on the molding. Remaining additions were mainly assorted exterior bits and bobs such as windscreen wipers, aerials, and slightly more petite pitot heads to replace the large kit parts. Last necessary fix---for a grounded bird---was to remember to feather the props, since they do so automatically once hydraulic pressure bleeds off.

26926178368_7bc66ce4ee_b.jpg

40754015462_63e306c3ee_b.jpg

40754015322_21d82e923c_b.jpg

Decals were home-made, based on the lovely photo of the same aircraft on the Airline's own website. Paints were mainly Tamiya acrylics, with special Testors fluorescent acrylics for some of the bright tail colors.

There are a few things I'll do differently next time...one structural, one cosmetic. As to structure, the kit's main gear axles are especially spindly, and might best be replaced with heavy-gauge wire or even paper-clip sections. The cosmetic fix will be more challenging: the kit's windscreen isn't quite wide enough, and the 'A pillars' (to use an automotive term) consequently too wide; this does much to lend a 'blocky' look to what is supposed to be the Twin Otter's fairly sleek cockpit area. (There are some other problems with this area on the kit, but that's for those far more expert than I.)

40754015202_3073908557_b.jpg

40754015092_8db90aeae7_b.jpg

40754015042_3c0c946fb7_b.jpg

26926178518_42e4df2e48_b.jpg

40754014932_e756e3b6c3_b.jpg

All in all, a nice winter-beating project. I hope you enjoy the pics.

Edited by thorfinn
typo
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CJP said:

You've done a lovely job on the Twin Otter - very smart - what type of printer do you use to print you own decals?

CJP

Thanks for your kind words.

Printer is an old 'cheapo' HP F4280 Inkjet. Does a great job for decals...even using less-expensive 'off brand' cartridges.  [ I use either Testors or Bare Metal Foil's 'Experts Choice' decal paper---I think they're the same thing---and seal with Testors Decal Bonder spray.]

41 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Thanks for your kind words.

Printer is an old 'cheapo' HP F4280 Inkjet. Does a great job for decals...even using less-expensive 'off brand' cartridges.  [ I use either Testors or Bare Metal Foil's 'Experts Choice' decal paper---I think they're the same thing---and seal with Testors Decal Bonder spray.]

Thanks for that information - I have a Cannon inkjet which works ok for black serials but colours come out a bit translucent - thought it might be the cheaper ink cartridges I used for the colours - I have used clear lacquer to seal them but found I need a few coats to stop the ink bleeding - must get some of that Testors Decal Bonder spray.

CJP

Edited by CJP
spelling

22 minutes ago, CJP said:

Thanks for that information - I have a Cannon inkjet which works ok for black serials but colours come out a bit translucent - thought it might be the cheaper ink cartridges I used for the colours - I have used clear lacquer to seal them but found I need a few coats to stop the ink bleeding - must get some of that Testors Decal Bonder spray.

CJP

For what it's worth---re the bleeding ink---it may not be the sealer. In my experience there are just certain inks that don't do well for decals. It doesn't seem to be related to brands or printer types, just certain ink formulas that never seem to work.

In any case, I hope a change of sealers works for you. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful Otter. My highest compliments on this little workhorse.

Regards,

Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Lovely work. This was used as a commercial aircraft in Norway just 20 years ago. I flew with it a few times during my military service in the north of Norway. Not the most comfortable way to fly, and landing on a snow covered airfield can be quite scary.. I'd rather fly with InterCaribbean Airlines....

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Laufeyson said:

Lovely work. This was used as a commercial aircraft in Norway just 20 years ago. I flew with it a few times during my military service in the north of Norway. Not the most comfortable way to fly, and landing on a snow covered airfield can be quite scary.. I'd rather fly with InterCaribbean Airlines....

Just out of curiosity...were you landing with wheels or skis? [Done a few 'rough landings' in puddle-jumpers, but never on anything other than wheels.]

10 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Just out of curiosity...were you landing with wheels or skis? [Done a few 'rough landings' in puddle-jumpers, but never on anything other than wheels.]

Wheels only.

• Thanks 1