Acrylic Diorama Textures

Shar2

Acrylic Diorama Textures

Mig AMMO

pots.jpg

This pair of weathering textures arrived at BM London offices a couple of months ago, but rather than just telling you how they looked I thought it best to hold on to them until I could actually use them. As it is I have only had the opportunity to use the Turned Mud pot as I’ve been building mostly armour lately, when I use the Wild River Water I will update this review.

The materials come in quite large pots and are to be used as is, straight onto your dioramas. The mud is textured by water feels like sand so may require some stirring to get the mix right.  On the vignette of the Takom 305mm Howitzer I made the base up using tile grout, then covered this with the mud using a spatula and wide brushes.  The material goes on very easily and can be spread about for some time before it sets.  Coverage is good and it’s easy to apply without leaving brush marks.  If you’re using a plain base the layers can be built up to give it that deep glutinous look or you can spread it thinly on models so that the paintwork can look dirty yet still show through. You can use an old toothbrush to make splatter on vehicles, buildings and even personnel, although I have yet to actually try that.  Once set it is tough, durable and able to be handled without distorting or leaving fingerprints. I loved using it so much I made another, larger vignette with Takom’s 420 Howitzer, Big Bertha with plenty still in the pot for another diorama/vignette.

bin.jpg

I wasn’t sure about the Wild River Water material at first, and I think I need to experiment more with it. First impressions is that it’s a weird pinky colour that seems to take longer to set than the mud and still stayed with a pinky hue on the brief try with it. It looks like you can do the same as the mud, in that you can build up the layers to give the river/stream that wild, rough look. You can even use is to represent the sea, or even waterfalls. According to AMMO, you paint the base first, then pour the material on and sculpt, using palette knives old brushes to get the desired effect.  This way it gives the water a feeling of depth, alternatively, you can also add small amounts of acrylic paint to colour the gel.

bin.jpg

plain.jpg

plain2.jpg

mud.jpg

mud2.jpg

mud3.jpg

Conclusion

These sets are a very welcome addition to the Mig AMMO product line and can be used by all genres of modellers. They are so easy to use and the best bit is that all the tools, including brushes can be washed and cleaned using water. For the price, which I think is quite reasonable, you get a lot of material to play with.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png