Polikarpov I-5 (ICM 1:72)

Here is my take on ICM's very nice 1:72 scale kit of the I-5 (Early). The model was not difficult to build, but required the care often afforded to short-run kits. The fit was mediocre, especially around the cylinder housings, and the lower wing/fuselage bottom. The upper guns were difficult to fit, on account of the vague instructions. The struts were a bit flimsy, so I glued the whole thing together before painting it. 

The kit is finished as the personal airplane of Soviet Airforce Chief Yakov Alksnis. Alksnis; a Latvian, joined the fledgling Soviet airforce in the mid-1920s, and served initially, in an administrative role. In 1929 he received his wings and became a dedicated pilot and leader. He instilled in his officers, a keen attention to detail and alertness. He was chief of the Airforce until the 1937. Then he was rewarded for all his efforts with expulsion from the Party, accusations of setting up a "Latvian Fascist organization", and execution. 

I painted the model using Tamiya and Vallejo paints. The red is Tamiya Flat Red, sealed with MM Acrylic flat clear mixed 1:1 with Future/Klear. The prop was painted with Tamiya Flesh, streaked with brown artists oils, then sealed with Tamiya Clear Yellow. Everything else is Vallejo. 

I used EZ-Line elastic thread for the rigging. I used black thread and then painted it with a highly thinned coat of Vallejo Oily Steel. This was thinned with Liquitex Fluid Medium. 

Photos aren't the greatest, as I found it really difficult to color balance with the bright red. 

Please comment and let me know what you think. 

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02625.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

• Like 26

Fantastic model!  I just bought this kit, along with some other ICM Polikarpovs, and I'll be happy if mine is half as good.

Regards,

David