Phantom - Hulman Field May 1982

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

I believe I'm right in saying that there are a few Phantom lovers on this site? ;). Well, I've left the Thud behind for a short while and scanned a few shots taken during one of my trips around the Midwest in May 1982. The subject here is the F-4Cs of the 113rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Indiana Air National Guard. They were based at Hulman Field, Terre Haute. Sadly the aquadron, now an "Intelligence" unit, is without aircraft.

From the images below you can make out that the weather wasn't kind and therefore with Kodachrome 25 in the OM1d I struggled in the low light. Occasionally, though, the sun popped out and blessed us with a little brightness. Bright or dark, though, the subject was great and my mate and I were given free access to the active ramp. I hope you F-4 lovers like these:

TH2

TH1

TH5

TH6

TH9

TH8

TH7

Apologies if I have posted any of these before. I'm losing track of what I have and what I haven't put in front this great audience.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
typos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Keith. Oddly I can remember aircraft serials, where I saw something, etc, but when it comes to other things I fall apart. For example, I remember this day very well. My mate, John, and I had been on a 2-week circular trip around the Midwest. Hulman Field was nearing the end of that fortnight and this was in the morning. In the afternoon we headed to Springfield, Illinois to visit a similar ANG F-4 unit and also discovered a great UH-1 unit at a place called Decatur. The sun came out and, of course, the photos got better. I'll probably scan some of those slides soon too. As I've said before, the local units were very accommodating and many times we simply pulled up at the gate and asked :). I guess it wouldn't happen now, sadly.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi CF4U!

I don't know. My thought was then, and still is, that they scored some ACT hits against F-15s. That seems a bold claim given the number of them shown here. Other than that it is just speculation, unless some F-4 expert here knows about them?

Martin