Defintely Different - 1/72 Kong Jiang-1 Chinese AWACS (Tu-4 [B-29] Turboprop)

I started the Academy B-19 about 20 years ago as a KB-19 tanker, and then about 15 or more years ago decided to use my Cutting Edge Modelworks Kong Jiang-1 Chinese AWACS conversion:

I didn't do much to it until mid-2016 when I picked it up again, and then put it to one side until the past few weeks.

It's rough and ready, but at least it's now done.

TFyyRPS.jpg

jNehxuM.jpg

y5Yb7Yq.jpg

S7yffET.jpg

• Like 49

Wow- incredible build! Your work reminds me of the late "Bondo Phil" Brandt's work- he was a consummate conversion modeler and scratchbuilder here in the colonies and a heckuva nice guy. You can do a search for his work- I think you channeled him and this one would have put a smile on his face! Well done, mate!

Mike

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow- incredible build! Your work reminds me of the late "Bondo Phil" Brandt's work- he was a consummate conversion modeler and scratchbuilder here in the colonies and a heckuva nice guy. You can do a search for his work- I think you channeled him and this one would have put a smile on his face! Well done, mate!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I recall Bondo Phil's work well when he frequented HyperScale where I also hang out a lot.

Brilliant job on that Mark, one I kinda know I'll never make but enjoy very much taking in yours. Those engines looks SO big on it but I know from photos I've seen of the real deal they're to scale. Thanks.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

That is super cool. I have seen the real one at the aeroplane museum in Beijing. Believe it or not, either that thing or another B-29 knock-off they have there, was unlocked and when I first visited in 2007 or so, I was able to climb inside the nosewheel entrance and sit in the cockpit. Stupidly I didn't explore down the tunnel but it was damn dark in there and knowing this part of the world probably full of spiders and scorpions! On later visits they'd wised up to it, sadly.

Could you tell me the product code for the conversion set? I didn't know there was one.

Not to hijack your thread, but I thought you might be interested in a couple of pics of the real thing.

CBJairB29awac2-1024x768.jpg

CBJairB29awac11-1024x768.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and pictures, mine portrays a little fresher state! You sure were lucky to get access inside. The conversion is by Cutting Edge Model Works, part of the now-defunct Meteor Productions. It was issued in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales. Here's a link to a review:

http://acc.kitreview.com/cec48469reviewme_1.htm