Gloster Meteor F.8, WL135; no. 245 sqn, RAF Horsham St Faith, 1955

The Meteor F.8 was the backbone of the RAF's fighter wings in the early 1950s, serving with over 30 squadrons. No. 245 squadron was based at Horsham St Faith (now Norwich airport), and flew Meteors alongside 74 sqn from 1950 until briefly re-equipping with Hunters in 1957.

WL135 was delivered to the RAF on new year's eve 1953. She served as the squadron CO's aircraft, hence the specially marked tail fin. There is an example of a Meteor with these markings on display at the Norwich aviation museum.

2h6amb4.jpg

mrsjya.jpg

2i1d9g.jpg

2dmgt1k.jpg

5m9zes.jpg

33bhcfb.jpg

j64lf4.jpg

m9a7sx.jpg

50's style ...

2lnth1t.jpg

2ahtz47.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

A fine looking Meteor! What was your experience with the kit? I think Xtrakit has the reputation of not being easy to build.

Thanks Doc! Actually I thought it was a really straightforward build, the parts all fit together really well and didn't need much sanding or filler. The hardest part was finding enough space for the nose ballast. Cockpit detail is ok for my standard, more discerning modellers will probably go with aftermarket stuff but for most the kit is good enough OOB in my opinion. One slight issue, the undercarriage is quite fiddly, being broken down in three separate parts for each oleo, plus a mudguard which you definitely want to attach before gluing the oleo in place. If you do it in stages and let each part set thoroughly though it's ok. 

• Like 2

Nice Meteor Lord Riot,  but WL135 was the  number of my dad's Morris Minor ...................:P

regards,   adey

Edited by adey m
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Very smart and a wonderful time of RAF aviation which is summed up in your 3 plane line up.

Thanks! 

Yes, it certainly was, wish I had a time machine and a could take a digital camera back with me! 😂 

It feels like it won't be long until all the RAF can muster is a few F-35s, the Red Arrows and some civvy operated tanker/transports. 😡🙁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

few F-35s, the Red Arrows and some civvy operated tanker/transports.

That much !!!! Mind you, with this supposedly Russian chemical attack it may make a few lodgers of Westminster realise not much has changed, even though the wall did come down.

The idea of a digital camera in the fifties... I would be reported as missing, you would not see me for months with so much to see. I can but dream.

• Like 1

Very nice Meteor. Like the 50's line up too!  The museum at Norwich is great eh? for a small donation you can climb up into the Vulcan cockpit and sit in the capt. seat for a bit of historic insight..

My MPM/Xtrakit F.8 is still unfinished several years later....V. well done on yours.

• Like 1

On 12 March 2018 at 11:15 AM, Doc72 said:

A fine looking Meteor! What was your experience with the kit? I think Xtrakit has the reputation of not being easy to build.

I built a PR a short while ago. It was pretty standard as I recall. The undercarriage was really the only fiddly bit.

Martin

• Like 1