Lufthansa Airbus A320neo, Revell & PAS 1:144

Well the smallest model I have has taken me the longest time to build...

I've had lots of distractions with work, but this weekend I was able to finish this A320neo.

I left the flight deck windows clear, but the silver window frame decals are a fraction too small (or the clear plastic windows are set incorrectly), so there is a small gap on the bottom of the windows (they could be windscreen wipers if you squint at it, while looking the other way...)

However, the model is really small, and while hanging from the ceiling along with my other builds, I don't think anyone is going to be able to see it (nor will they be able to read A320-200 instead of A320neo on the nose, or notice that there are no cranes on the sharklets...), so I apologize now to all of the purists.

I'm really pleased with the PAS parts, and I'm glad they fit well.  I was a bit hesitant about the price (they were £30 odd, for the tiny pieces).  

I started painting just before I saw the new Lufthansa livery, but I didn't want to wait even longer for new decals...

The grey in the pictures looks more green than it does in real life - looking at it sat on the table now, it doesn't have that green shade.  I used Humbrol 128, as a change to the Revell 374 that I used for the Revell A380 build I made years ago.  Below is a comparison of the two paints.  I'm happy with the smooth finish, especially as I hand-painted it with a brush.  

The fuselage--as always for my airliners--is painted with Halfords grey primer, followed by appliance gloss white (I think the grey primer gives the finished white more depth, than using white primer).

IMG_3466

IMG_3467

IMG_3468

IMG_3469

IMG_3470

IMG_3471

IMG_3472

IMG_3473

IMG_3474

• Like 16

1 minute ago, stringbag said:

Glad you stuck with the old livery instead of the rather awful new scheme that Lufthansa have adopted.

Thanks, but I've just ordered the new livery decals for the 748!

Sorry Neil, I didn't mean to rain on your parade as it were.  It's such an uninspiring scheme they have chosen but I guess Lufthansa like it.

Give me a scheme with a cheat-line every time.

Chris

• Like 2

Nice build! These days every livery is the same: big extended tail logo + throw the name in front and off you go, they must be giving away the white. Shame that Lufthansa fell to that, where's the yellow?

I think I'll keep building them like the good old days like this beautiful model.

8 hours ago, Canalguna said:

Nice build! These days every livery is the same: big extended tail logo + throw the name in front and off you go, they must be giving away the white. Shame that Lufthansa fell to that, where's the yellow?

I think I'll keep building them like the good old days like this beautiful model.

Thank you.

I think there's a tiny yellow square by the front door!  That's all they left.

To be honest, I think it looks good on the 748, but in my opinion, if they were going to make a change to the tail, they should have also made a change to the front section...

If they're giving away the white, I'll take some to replenish my stocks!!

On 3/11/2018 at 9:27 PM, stringbag said:

Very nice indeed Neil

Glad you stuck with the old livery instead of the rather awful new scheme that Lufthansa have adopted.

Chris.

took the words out of my mouth! i had to laugh at the unveiling ceremony which revealed basically a white plane. how exciting! 

Wonderful build. I love this scheme. Beware of the new scheme decals though. It appears that, having repainted the first two aircraft, Lufthansa are not satisfied with the blue used and are looking for an alternative blue. According to my Lufthansa source they may change it.  It may be that we could be limited to just two aircraft using existing new scheme decals. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

I loved your conversion and will watch the Reveal Neo releases to see what they come up with.

Edited by HKGBravo1

3 hours ago, HKGBravo1 said:

Wonderful build. I love this scheme. Beware of the new scheme decals though. It appears that, having repainted the first two aircraft, Lufthansa are not satisfied with the blue used and are looking for an alternative blue. According to my Lufthansa source they may change it.  It may be that we could be limited to just two aircraft using existing new scheme decals. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

I loved your conversion and will watch the Reveal Neo releases to see what they come up with.

On 14/03/2018 at 15:35, Gimme Shelter said:

looks very nice (and small up against the 380)

Thanks, here's the A320neo up against the other Lufthansa builds I've made over the years.  I'm not a Lufthansa fan as such (I've only flown on them once), it just so happens Revell make a fair few kits of theirs in this livery (I have an A359 in Lufthansa colours in the stash...).

And below is a new 748 still in the box, with the Draw Decal sheet for the New Lufthansa colours... I may be the only person who actually likes their new livery....

IMG_3493

IMG_3495

I'm not sure which blue to use yet for the New Lufthansa; I was going to use Humbrol's gloss midnight blue (the same as the other builds above), but photos that I've seen of D-ABYA look like the tail is almost black, or blue-black (for which Tamiya's TS-55 dark blue on my Cunard liners, would be a better match)

IMG_2861

Hope you like the comparisons.