Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk I Belgium may 1940

Hello fellow modellers.

Here is my 2nd build. It's the Airfix 1/72  Hurricane Mk I in Belgian colors.

This one is a gift for my father who is no modeller but still for a good part responsible for me coming back to the hobby. Thanks Dad, I love you.

It’s an OOB build as per instructions except for the later type exhausts (as all Belgian Hurricanes had been retrofitted with these before may 1940). No weathering as my father prefers everything to be neat and tidy (a bad excuse for my laziness, isn’t it?).

I  used Eduard superfabric seatbelts (RAF early set). Not as realistic as the metal ones but far easier to place.

A very nice kit. I just had problems aligning the upper and lower wing parts and placing the landing gear required to be quite careful.

I’m not completely happy with the result as I insisted to fit the canopy in an open position, so I made a crack in it and I was heavy handed with the glue so that it affected the clear part and the paint under it. But my main goal was achieved, as it simply was a thinner and more even paint coat than on the P-40.

It was airbrushed with my H&S Evolution Silverline (0.2 needle) and my “usual suspects” Gunze and Tamiya acrylics.

Primer: Stynylrez grey

Camo: Gunze H73 (dark green), H72 (dark earth); underside: Tamiya XF16 (flat aluminium)

Cockpit: Tamiya XF71

Clear coat: Gunze H20 (flat clear)

As said, all mishaps and mistakes are mine. Still I hope you'll enjoy it. Fire at will!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by PattheCat
Pictures transferred from Google Photos to Flickr
  • Like 4

My apologies for the pictures not showing. Don't know what's happening. These are shared on my Google account. Please have a try opening this link:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP11T9Igb8OhsCdECqwk1YFk8VtKd2buSopTwcakZ96Phunzd5YxhOvpMG2MiLDmg?key=VjV1Q3ZMRXhHN0FDQU9aWGdiT2xoVnNSWloyUXFB

• Like 8

Thanks a lot everybody.  As Airfix was so kind as to provide markings for a machine that served my country, I just could do nothing else than raise the flag. That said, the count of my Airfix kits now goes above the Tamiya ones, so I guess it says a lot about how much I like them, whatever the decals in the box. 

Sorry again for the viewing problems.

Pat.