Advice for EE Lightning reference books.

ModellerUK

That depends on whether you're looking for a reference for the complete plane (cockpit, wheel wells, airbrakes, and so on), or for history/markings/squadron service. In the latter case, the Aviation Workshop Publications On Target Profile Plus No. 13, English Electric Lightning In Worldwide Service does the job nicely, IMHO. ISBN 1-904643-28-0, if that helps the search for it.
For curiosity, which manufacturer's F6 do you intend building?

29 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

That depends on whether you're looking for a reference for the complete plane (cockpit, wheel wells, airbrakes, and so on), or for history/markings/squadron service. In the latter case, the Aviation Workshop Publications On Target Profile Plus No. 13, English Electric Lightning In Worldwide Service does the job nicely, IMHO. ISBN 1-904643-28-0, if that helps the search for it.
For curiosity, which manufacturer's F6 do you intend building?

Hi there, 

My mistake a reference for the complete aircraft (picture book), I am doing a English Electric Lightning F.6 5 sqn RAF.

There is a fair bit of useful info in the SAM Publication and its not too expensive as books go.

For extensive photographic coverage on all marks inc the F6 you will find Danny Coremans & Peter Gordts coverage in the DACO Publications book hard to beat I would think.

Aeroguide No8 covers the Mk3 & Mk6 

Hope that gives some inspiration

Ian Blacks 'Last of the Lightnings' book is a fantastic reference for in service Lightning shots, one of my favourite books, written and photographed (superbly) by a pilot who was there.

Edited by 71chally

Pulled a few from the shelf in addition to those mentioned above -

Warpaint No. 14 by Alan W. Hall published by Guideline

Wings of Fame Volume 7 with 60+ page Lightning profile by Jon Lake published by Aerospace Publishing

Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force by Richard L. Ward published by AD Hoc Publications

Lightning Strikes by Martin W. Bowman published by Airlife

Lightning Force - RAF Units 1960-88 by Fred Martin published by Dalrymple

Lightning by Ian Black published by Airlife

EE/BAC Lightning by Bryan Philpott published by PSL

Lightning - The Operational History by Kev Darling published by Airlife

English Electric Lightning by Martin W. Bowman published by Crowood

Lightning - Aircraft Illustrated Special by Roger Lindsay published by Ian Allan 

All have something to offer and in addition I have seen but do not actually have Lightning books in the WARbird Tech , Aeroguides and AIRDOC series.

What period are we talking ? I was on 5 Sqn from 1980-81 if I can help I will. Are you on facebook 5sqn have a page with lots of photos of their Lightning's they were the first RAF unit to operate the F6 and I think the longest too.

• Like 1