Hasegawa 1:48 Fw 190A-5

Good night guys,

I bought this model on Facebook this Thursday, and went to pick it up today to a reunion of plastic modellers.

I plan to build this Fw 190A-5 as Walter Nowotny´s aircraft (the other option is for Egon Meyer) while using Eduard´s painting instructions.

Decals are of the old Hasegawa style, with an ivory colour, just like the ones in their Japanese Army boxing of this aircraft.

I´ll post the progress of the build as soon as I begin, most likely tomorrow.

40736055841_d48c6994c7_z.jpg

38925766330_74cc9880fc_z.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, you can´t have enough Fw 190s, and I knew I had to have this one when it first appeared on the group.

Which means I´ll have to save for some more time before I buy the new PC I want. 

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

The aircraft itself was completed after 4 hours of work. Naturally, I managed to almost remove parts of the wings while removing the remaining sprue gates. I also wanted to get a bit more professional, and filled with CA the seams and hatch that didn´t belong to the version of the model, and rescribed the panel lines that were deleted after using sandpaper (all of that with moderate success). I could buy Tamiya putty, but its 35U$D in Argentina (I´d only buy it if I were to build more models).

Up next is the painting stage. I always wanted an Fw 190 painted in RLM 70/71.

40715824422_668c9416bd_z.jpg

26887887718_4e4788c434_z.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully I´ll begin decalling the aircraft tomorrow. The spinner was handpainted.

@Troy Smith thank you for linking the brush painting topic in one of my posts, I did what it said, and the mottling came out so much better.

I scratched the canopy with the knife while I was removing it from the sprue, how can fix it?

40087143844_7f19075288_z.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

I scratched the canopy with the knife while I was removing it from the sprue, how can fix it?

If you have future floor polish or something similar this technique will work. If not please do not attempt it. You can polish the canopy with progressively finer sanding films. Then dip it in future floor polish if you have that available.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have future floor polish or something similar this technique will work. If not please do not attempt it. You can polish the canopy with progressively finer sanding films. Then dip it in future floor polish if you have that available.  

Is sandpaper the same, from 600 and up? I was talking minutes ago with another guy about this, he recommended me a fingernail sanding stick bought in perfumeries that have pregressively finer sanding grades. 

• Like 1

Yes you can use sandpaper but i would start at 1000 grit and wet sand. It will help reduce scratches from the paper. I use sandpaper and sanding films up to 2000 grit for polishing plastic and canopies. Stay in the area right around the scratch to minimize any other issues. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I´ll try to see if I find that grade of sand paper. How do you progress with the grades, 1000, 1500 and 2000?

Edited by Sturmovik

Personally i start @ 1000 and graduate to 1200, 1500, 1800 film and finally 2000. If you dont have those in your hobby shop call a couple of autobody repair shops. I bough some of my films from them. I bought a package of 1000 grit 15 years ago. Ive barely used it there was i think 50 5.5 inch by 11 inch sheets in the box.

If all else fails you could try to see if there is a spare canopy locally. Check local modeling clubs and contact Hasegawa

5 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Is sandpaper the same, from 600 and up? I was talking minutes ago with another guy about this, he recommended me a fingernail sanding stick bought in perfumeries that have pregressively finer sanding grades. 

finger nail sanding sticks are awesome - they are perfect for this sort of thing. Some of them are specifically for polishing.

After not posting for some time, I have news. I´ve managed to locally find an Aeromaster sheet from which I´ll use only the upper crosses, leaving the others for other aircraft (the sheet has decals for Hajo Herrman´s A-6 nightfighter and for other three late war Fw 190A-8s).

Here´s the unpainted model with the decal sheet below it.

40193668424_817dc58684_z.jpg

Something that struck me yesterday is that I could have measured the decal that went above the yellow band, and masked the area accordingly. I would have saved myself all this trouble. Things you learn I guess.

Edited by Sturmovik

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Yes but you learned that lesson. Im willing to say you wont make that mistake again. By the way how did the canopy fix turn out ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle you bet, one doesn´t make the same mistake twice. I´ve decided to leave the canopy alone, I don´t want to risk it, maybe for the next time (when I find the proper sandpapers and that minisaw that replaces the knife on the xacto).

• Like 1

I´m back on track now, the aircraft has been completely painted and the gloss varnish has been applied. I may start with the decals this Saturday because of the time constraints I have tomorrow.

The aircraft will be painted as Egon Meyer´s mount.

26091702817_02da248225_z.jpg

26091700427_a9f5271cac_z.jpg