GWH F-15I to build F-15DJ?

dreamwriter

Hy everyone,

The answer I'm looking for is to the question asked in the topic title.Can I build a japanese F-15,the DJ,from the GWH F-15I? I've compared sprues of the F-15I and the GWH F-15DJ released under Pit-Road,and the only sprue from the DJ release missing in the F-15I box is sprue Q,that has another speed brake.The rest is all there,but since I cant checkthe complete assembly instrutions from the F-15DJ kit to see if the speed brake used is the one on sprue Q or the one on sprue B,I would like to know if anyone knows for sure if the build is possible.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bruno

I was wondering the same thing the other day in relation to DJ mod, just scored a Revell F-15E but want to do a DJ...I know nothing about Eagles however, so I'd also be very interested in an answer to the above question, would like to try a GWH kit.

Taking some bits from various ARC threads regarding F-15D camouflaged as F-15E aircrafts,probably comes with errors as I'm not an expert nor I'm using any kind of book reference

Main landing gear doors,possibly nose door too,legs and wheels are different

C/D airbrake was different from E due the absence of fuselage recess but later C/D airframes were also assembled without it

Some panel lines are different due Fast Packs being in the way,so to ease maintenance some of them were changed

Non MSIP I/II upgraded J and DJ retained engine saber drains and also the two small antennas under intake trunks

Heck of a built here which explains whatever I'm missing in terms of details

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f15dj/build.htm

Different fuselage pieces

DJ 

114451lgzgie7fphiqcs9v.jpg

I and I presume it's the same on E

269.jpg

Built J fuselage

20150225172125a76.jpg

Real DJ

_MG_0474.jpg

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite

19 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

Taking some bits from various ARC threads regarding F-15D camouflaged as F-15E aircrafts,probably comes with errors as I'm not an expert nor I'm using any kind of book reference

Main landing gear doors,possibly nose door too,legs and wheels are different

C/D airbrake was different from E due the absence of fuselage recess but later C/D airframes were also assembled without it

Some panel lines are different due Fast Packs being in the way,so to ease maintenance some of them were changed

Non MSIP I/II upgraded J and DJ retained engine saber drains and also the two small antennas under intake trunks

Heck of a built here which explains whatever I'm missing in terms of details

https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f15dj/build.htm

Different fuselage pieces

DJ 

114451lgzgie7fphiqcs9v.jpg

I and I presume it's the same on E

269.jpg

Built J fuselage

20150225172125a76.jpg

Real DJ

_MG_0474.jpg

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

I already saw the build on scalespot,turning a B/D into a DJ,precisely the same scheme I want to do.But the GWH kit I have is the I and not the B/D.Isn't the F-15I kit updated compared to the B/D? Comparing the B/D sprues with the I sprues I noticed several differences, but not when comparing the I with the DJ sprues.

3 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

I already saw the build on scalespot,turning a B/D into a DJ,precisely the same scheme I want to do.But the GWH kit I have is the I and not the B/D.Isn't the F-15I kit updated compared to the B/D?

Yes, the F-15I is a slightly modified F-15E, so there will be more changes to make it a F-15DJ than if you modifying a F-15B/D.

Besides the changes Silverkite mentioned, you also need to modify the arresting hook, remove the gun reloading lozenge, remove the rear warning radars at the very tips of the fuselage near the back of the horizontal tails, and make sure you use the thin weight balances at the tips of the tails (which the F-15I did, but the F-15E did not).

4 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Are there noticeable differences in the cockpit?

Yes, the instrument panels, side consoles, the control sticks - even the shape of the rear cowl - are totally different. You would probably need to buy a third party resin replacement cockpit.

1 hour ago, spejic said:

Yes, the F-15I is a slightly modified F-15E, so there will be more changes to make it a F-15DJ than if you modifying a F-15B/D.

Besides the changes Silverkite mentioned, you also need to modify the arresting hook, remove the gun reloading lozenge, remove the rear warning radars at the very tips of the fuselage near the back of the horizontal tails, and make sure you use the thin weight balances at the tips of the tails (which the F-15I did, but the F-15E did not).

Yes, the instrument panels, side consoles, the control sticks - even the shape of the rear cowl - are totally different. You would probably need to buy a third party resin replacement cockpit.

all above super correct,

if you notice them or care is up to you!

the things you easily  notice with the canopy closed are the fin tip counter balance wight, probably gear doors, and.... thats it.

take care not to mount any conformal fuel tanks, other F-15I specific warts and blobs, and paint it correctly in Japanese grey camouflage and add respective decals. Hardly anybody will notice I guess.... me included!

Edited by exdraken

Thank you all for you help! It did clear my doubts. I will probably wait a little longer to see if I can get my hands on a GWH DJ kit. I also have the Hasegawa F-15J/DJ kit that could be an option, even tough I know it lacks various details the DJ has,starting with the static arrays in the nose,but that could be solved if I can adapt the spare radome that comes with the GWH F-15I that most certainly is for the DJ since it has the static arrays.

Cheers,

Bruno

On 3/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, dreamwriter said:

Thank you all for you help! It did clear my doubts. I will probably wait a little longer to see if I can get my hands on a GWH DJ kit. I also have the Hasegawa F-15J/DJ kit that could be an option, even tough I know it lacks various details the DJ has,starting with the static arrays in the nose,but that could be solved if I can adapt the spare radome that comes with the GWH F-15I that most certainly is for the DJ since it has the static arrays.

Cheers,

Bruno

Wolfpack makes a conversion set that converts a Hasegawa or Academy F-15C/D into an F-15J/DJ. It is out of production but crops up on eBay pretty regularly. Also can be used to correct the inadequacies of the Hasegawa F15J/DJ.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/534512-wolfpack-wp48020-f-15j-dj-jasdf-eagle-update-set

5 hours ago, mstorin said:

Wolfpack makes a conversion set that converts a Hasegawa or Academy F-15C/D into an F-15J/DJ. It is out of production but crops up on eBay pretty regularly. Also can be used to correct the inadequacies of the Hasegawa F15J/DJ.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/534512-wolfpack-wp48020-f-15j-dj-jasdf-eagle-update-set

Yep I know,but can´t find it anywhere...

Hi there,

going back back to one of the original points about the two speed brakes, Japanese Eagles have the smooth interior air brake that is common to all F-15s but in the last few years they have been switching to a type with lots of ribs on the inner surface. Sorry, but you really need a picture of the plane at a point in time to be 100% accurate. If you are doing a model from years ago, use the smooth one.

andy

Edited by Red Dot

I think Bruno is going to build 92-8068

http://www.f-15j.com/arc/vehicle_info.cgi?backurl=./vehicle_lst.cgi&radio_call=068

I think on ARC someone asked some detail regarding reinforcement ribs around both rudders that from time to time were visible in earlier or late photos,so also has to check that,sadly F-15J dotto com doesn't come with clear airbrake pictures for it so it's a guess work

Luigi

On 20/03/2018 at 10:36 AM, Silverkite said:

I think Bruno is going to build 92-8068

http://www.f-15j.com/arc/vehicle_info.cgi?backurl=./vehicle_lst.cgi&radio_call=068

I think on ARC someone asked some detail regarding reinforcement ribs around both rudders that from time to time were visible in earlier or late photos,so also has to check that,sadly F-15J dotto com doesn't come with clear airbrake pictures for it so it's a guess work

Luigi

Luigi, I want to build the DJ, specifically the 2013 Aggressor with Splinter camo in two tone blue. The speed brake is not a problem since it will be closed.