K5Y Willow - help with video info

JackG

My understanding is the Willow was specifically designed and built to train navy pilots.   The Arawasi publication seems to confirm this, at least no profiles that would be considered as civilian.   Post war, some 20 airframes were pressed into service by  Indonesian forces.

There is one interesting profile of an aircraft with a university that had created program for students who wanted to become pilots for the Imperial Navy;

1-72-k5y1-willow-unknown-and-less-known-

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

J-W is that a legit site to download from, or is just the magazine cover you wanted to display??

Reviews of Novafile warn it's a scam, and really is a fraudulent 'business'.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

1 minute ago, JackG said:

Magazine image is ok, but out of respect to the publishers, moderators should remove the link as that site supports piracy.

regards,

Jack

Oh, i did not know it. I removed the link, thank you and sorry

J-W

My memory plays a game with me, apparently. I was to lazy to dig out on my books so I look through Internet resources googling "Avions magazine" and "k5y willow" and I found what I found I thought that this is what I have. But today I went through my book shelves and found that article on Willow in Avions which I have is different, it is from #187 Mai-Juni 2012. And there is no civil Willows in that. But it is funny, since I remember the green/orange painting scheme for Willow and it is not present in the article. So - the momory plays the game, as I said....

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Here is a civie machine

k5y-15.jpg

yokosuka-kawanishi-k5y1-k5y2-akatonbo_1_

The aircraft in the above photo is also featured in Arawashi publication.   The markings are a combination of both civilian (dove in black circle, overpainted J, fuselage stripe and fuselage registration number), and military (new tail number).    Concerning the fuselage hinomaru, this does not appear to directly infer military owned, since this marking was mandatory for all aircraft when the Pacific war began.

Upon reading this section, my understanding is many civilian schools (along with newly created ones), were taken over and run by the state to train pilots.  This began in June 1938, when the army/navy was no longer supplying pilots to the Ministry of Communications.  Eventually these were all taken over by the military.

Unfortunately no date supplied for the photo, and the text  does not provide a date when these schools acquired Willows - was it during  civilian period or state run or military owned???   Reading in between the lines, it would have to be assumed J-BFHT was originally civilian (or possibly state owned) because it obviously has a civilian registration number.

regards,

Jack