1/72 Airifx Hawker Hurricane Mk I

Val

Congratulations on getting married Val, I think we can excuse your absence for that :lol: nice to see this one going forward again :thumbsup: 

One hour of masking...

IMG_1459-L.jpg

And the Mr Hobby RAF WWII Dark Green...

IMG_1465-L.jpg

I have slightly lightened the colours in places to give a bit of variation, but only slighting, she's going to be relatively clean.

Black and aluminium next, and then we can decal!

More soon!

Val

• Like 7

Hi all, still plodding on with this one.

So the black-work is all done (Tamiya rubber black)

IMG_1477-L.jpg

Followed quickly by the aluminium (Vallejo Metal Color)

IMG_1479-L.jpg

So here she is, nearly ready for decals. I just have a couple of areas to touch in from overspray.

IMG_1480-L.jpg

We're getting there!

Val

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

And here she is decalled up!

Excellent decals as always with new Airfix, performed perfectly after a couple of coats of Microset and sol. Only a slight be bit of silvering to deal with on the underside. The gloss coat is still a little wet in these pics.

IMG_1533-L.jpg

IMG_1534-L.jpg

Next stage is weathering. I'm going to give her a panel line pin wash only. I know there is a lot of discussion about panel line washes, especially on clean aircraft, but I personally like them, I feel they give the model a bit of depth. I'd normally use Flory wash, but this time I'm going to use AK or MiG panel liner, I don't want any staining on the model.

I'm at the stage of the kit where you spend a few minutes doing something, and then leaving it for the day to dry before the next stage; so close to the finish but a lot of time left in the build! Having said that, I'm hoping she'll be all done by this time next week.

THanks all,

Val

• Like 8

Hi all,

Panel line wash is done!

IMG_1545-600x450.jpg

IMG_1546-L.jpg

IMG_1547-600x450.jpg

She's on her feet too. The undercarriage is a little fiddly, but generally a good, solid fit. I love this little kit! I've also got the antenna on, and she's waiting the matt coat. Then I will get the exhausts on, a tiny hint of exhaust smoke mark, just to show she's been used but very well loved, and then do the lights. Then she's all done!

Val

• Like 10

Thanks Beard and all who have liked!

Ok, very quick update and probably the penultimate before she's finished. I've given her a matt coat (just Vallejo):

IMG_1557-L.jpg

And installed the exhausts:

72D9AFEB-36C6-4A31-8181-36F18E14A6A2-L.j

I have also given her some light exhaust staining and unmasked; couple of minor flaws to tidy up there.

Next job is the nav/landing lights and she's all done! Might actually get a group build/SiG finished on time!!

Val

• Like 10

Thanks all!

On 5/10/2018 at 5:10 PM, Beard said:

What did you use for the exhausts? 

I used Vallejo Metal Color Exhaust Manifold. It's got a burnt, golden tinge to it. It paints less gold than it looks in the bottle. I have to say, I live the colour!

So, just had to fix up the frame work on canopy due to a masking error.

IMG_1586-L.jpg

Then black first

IMG_1587-600x450.jpg

Then the green.

IMG_1588-L.jpg

Job done!

Now I masked up the landing and nav lights so I could paint them silver, ready for the glass work, or over painting in green/red.

I wouldn't say I was paranoid about metallic acrylic overspray... but...

IMG_1589-L.jpg

And here we are, just got to paint the nav lights and install the landing lights and she's all done!

IMG_1590-L.jpg

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 10

It's good to see that you painted the canopy frame black before the dark green. I've seen a lot of models lately that were let down, for me at least, by a thin coat of translucent paint on their canopies.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Cheers Chris, yeah always try to remember to paint it black first!

Ok so here she is, all finished! It's the first 'clean' plane I've done and I quite enjoyed it. I've always used weathering as an excuse to hide imperfections, but I'm happy enough with how she's turned out. I'll post up a RFI thread once I've photographed her properly, but for the meantime, here are the iPhone pics.

IMG_1606-M.jpg

IMG_1607-M.jpg

IMG_1608-M.jpg

Thank you all so much for stopping by, and especially to @Troy Smith for the invaluable information on hurricanes and @Smithy for going out of his way to email me details of this specific aircraft. It's helped no end guys, both for this build and future builds!

Val

• Like 16

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nice! I hope mine turns out half as good.

One point. Even though Airfix doesn't state it, I think the prop tips should be yellow.

Thanks Chris! Oh no, dilemma time! Do I try to fix the props and risk overspraying everything, or do I leave it... I'll have a think! Thanks for the info mate :)

Thank you for your kind words guys! Yes, I think I will leave it. If I try to fix it I will snap off the antenna and Pitot tube and somehow get overspray everywhere knowing me!

• Like 4