Typhoon 1B, 184 Sqn, RAF

Troffa

I have been researching a Photo of a 184 Squadron Typhoon that belongs to a friend of a friend.

Frustratingly I cant post it here at the moment, but hope to get permission to do so in the near future. 

Aircraft is BF-F or E and could be MN141 or MN144 

My question regards the non-standard markings applied, namely a stripe around the spinner, a spinner baseplate of the same colour and a stripe through the centre of the tail ID band- if the web is to be belived these would appear to be red- see here:

TYPHOON_BR-M.jpg

Does anyone have a definitive date, presumambly post VE day when 184 applied these markings?

(I've been to the excellent 184squadron.com website but cant find any answer to this query)

Help me Oh-Bee-Emm, you're my only hope! 

The red/white markings shown in the drawing above are correct but were carried on 184 Sqn Typhoons only in the post-war period.  MN141 was with 184 Sqn from 3 March 1945 to 3 August 1945 when it was tipped on its nose while taxying (wheel in hole); sent for repair but subsequently scrapped. In case it is not visible in the photo ... 3-blade prop/small tailplane. It was coded BR-E (info from 3 different logbooks). Hope to see the photo in due course.

CT

Edited by Chris Thomas
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's fantastic Chris, and to be honest, just what I hoped for. 

There are two pics. one from the starboard front quarter that shows the 3 bladed prop, the white? Spinner stripe and baseplate- in the background of this pic there is a Beech Staggerwing (Traveller Mk1 in RAF service, but no markings visible)

The other pic is from the starboard rear quarter and show the Pilot, Warrant Officer Wilson and his Groundcrew.  There is an interesting dark tone to the lower fuselage on this shot that may be overpainted  D-Day stripes, but I'm not sure.

I'm hoping to get clearance to post these shots next week, and I will be strongly recommending that the owner gets in touch with 184 Sqn dot com with his collection. 

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

You are most welcome Mark.  The spinner was indeed white with red stripes and there is possibly white inner faces to the main u/c doors with red edging and the individual code letter was often applied in red on the white painted front of the 'cuckoo-door' filter.

I would expect to see evidence of repainting on the rear fuselage as MN141 had a long operational history (for a Typhoon).  It had started its operational life in March 1944 as 'P-W', Grp Capt Paddy Woodhouse's aircraft when he was OC 16 Sector (121 and 124 Wings). When this organisation was disbanded his aircraft was transferred to 174 Sqn who apparently just added an 'X', making it XP-W.  It flew on D-Day and through most of the Normandy campaign before being sent to the FRU for overhaul. In late October it was delivered to 175 Sqn at Vokel (HH-B), transferred to 245 Sqn in January 1945 (code not known) and back to 175 Sqn in February 1945 (HH-J). To 184 Sqn as above.

CT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1