Beech C45 Expeditor tailplane

rob Lyttle

Thinking of it  a strengthening structure for spar life-extension purposes, normally a flat plate attached to the external skin does the job.  I recall a story that British Phantoms had to have a series of such plates one on top of the other as the aircraft continued in service, up to six being noted.  Not sure how true this number was.  More familiar to WW2 modellers would be the external strengthening plates on the Seafire's fuselage.  If one thin plate wouldn't do, then a thicker one could be substituted, but a bit of structural knowledge will tell you that you would get greater strength not from a thicker plate but by something like an I-beam.  The same amount of metal but greater depth.  That could be what is happening here - the metal rod acting as a strengthening piece mounted at some depth below the spar.  However this appears to be a very complex and expensive way of solving the problem.

Alternatively, how does the fuel system work on a Beech 18?  Could this be a way of transferring fuel from one wing to the other  in the event of single-engine failure?  A post-war solution to some certification problem?

Either way, why does it widen dramatically as it nears the nacelle?

16 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

A post-war solution to some certification problem?

I notice my 3-view drawing by Granger is dated 1945.

So it could be a.modern update.

Who would believe that underside photos are so few and far between?!

The page doesn't give dates but elsewhere the site says that the AD was issued in 1975.   The problem was noted in wartime and postwar ones had a stronger spar. There is a statement that in this period a gusset (strap) had been fitted to some aircraft (implying wartime C variants?) but the later problems that inspired the AD apply to all Beech 18 variants.  However there's no suggestion that all Beech 18s flying after 1975 had the same modification as that shown in the photos and described as Hamilton.  So it really is a case of check the individual aircraft if you are modelling a post-1975 example.  Or even a wartime example in postwar use?  In that case it would be just a strap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

So it really is a case of check the individual aircraft if you are modelling a post-1975 example.

That's if you can find the photo references for underside!

Remarkably few around when you're looking for them.

When did production stop?

Thought I'd paste up my solution to the tailplane arrangements for the C45.

This is the underside of the elevator,

IMG_20180321_000149

... with just a little of the telescoped action showing.

Top view...

IMG_20180321_000225

The rudders are well in hand, but I probably won't fit until later, as they're a bit more knockable.

IMG_20180324_233448

IMG_20180324_233527

IMG_20180324_233643

Well, I got the tailplane arrangements all buttoned up.

A rewarding bit of plastic bashing.

I think it was worth going the extra mile for such a pretty plane.

One of Walter Beech's best...?

Well I'd like to have one!

Thanks again all, for insight and expertise.