Removing metal foil

Paul J

Hi, Does anyone have a way of removing foil from a partly built kit??  I landed a 1/48th Sabre F-86 last night from a club member for free. Its all complete but the rear fuselage was cut away and partially covered in foil that I want to get off. A bit did come away with careful peeling but a lot of it is and looks stubborn. Any suggestions will be most helpful

Hi Paul,

only suggestion I can make is try something like Fairy Power spray (old formula, green bottle)

or Mr. Muscle / caustic based oven cleaner.

Failing these, the only course I can suggest is to deploy the BIG guns, as in DoT4 brake fluid.

For maintenance of domestic harmony and your personal safety.......................

OUTSIDE! old bowl, heavyweight rubber gloves, eye protection, full NBC kit, wellies, why?

'cos DoT4 is EVIL stuff, BUT, so I'm told, it'll move the proverbial from a blanket!

HTH (have fun!)

Paul

I would go the hot water route first. Do you know how it was glued? Is it a propriety product or kitchen/sweet wrapper foil? It could be stuck with PVA, varnish or other means.  At least hot water should no do any harm even if it's ineffective.

Cheers. I've no idea of how it was stuck on. The foil is very thin. Looked effective but not being done very well hence me wishing to get it off!  Will try the water method and I still have some green Fairy stuff. Bought a bottle but never used it.

If there are any more ideas , would like to hear them please.

I got a similar part foiled kit and used WD40: Peeled a bit then a quick squirt and it magically dissolved the horrible Microscale foil glue: Of course you then have a lovely thin film of lubricant that no paint will adhere to but gentle washing with Dawn dish soap, followed by a lint free cloth soaked in IPA to get any left over WD40. If its large area of foil you will watch several hours of your life drift away while sitting surrounded by slivers of oil, sticky foil..

A

I think I'd go with 90% Isopropyl alcohol or perhaps denatured alcohol.

Not too smelly and shouldn't affect the plastic, although they might strip paint,  if that is a concern.

I have a coffee can full of the stuff and I just pitch parts that I want to strip in there for an hour or so.

DO NOT USE ON Polyurethane Resin!!!

Mostly it works fine but occasionally, it will turn your resin parts into a rubbery, twisted mess. (ask me how I know this  :doh:)

I have used it to strip Bare Metal Foil before so I know it'll take that stuff off.

High proof vodka or gin would probably work too. Better than drinking the stuff! :hypnotised:

re my experiments with WD40, they were inspire by this article which oddly enough is about removing Bare Metal Foil from canopies: These days I have a Cricut that does lovely canopy masks but I still finish canopies with WD40 after they've been Kleared, try it it will mildly amaze you...

I wonder if a soaking in a caustic soda solution will work. The foil is likely to be aluminium which is readily dissolved by caustic soda, which also removes paint and varnishes and physical glues, it can also break down poor chemical glue joints