Mig Ammo One Shot primer

Threadbear

Got some Mig Ammo One Shot Primer in grey, black and white this week through the post. I set up my old compressor and Badger Crescendo 175, gave the grey primer a thorough shake and straight into the cup of the AB and sprayed through at 20psi on some components of the Tamiya M10 that I am building for the M4 group build. No problems whatsoever. Laid down beautifully. 

Then go to put some down onto the Airfix Sea Fury that I am doing for the Hawker GB and it starts to swirl as if there is some contaminant on the plastic. Looks like I should have washed the sprues? (!):stupid::banghead:

Or is Tamiya plastic still just better quality than Airfix?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:24 AM, Threadbear said:

Got some Mig Ammo One Shot Primer in grey, black and white this week through the post. I set up my old compressor and Badger Crescendo 175, gave the grey primer a thorough shake and straight into the cup of the AB and sprayed through at 20psi on some components of the Tamiya M10 that I am building for the M4 group build. No problems whatsoever. Laid down beautifully. 

Then go to put some down onto the Airfix Sea Fury that I am doing for the Hawker GB and it starts to swirl as if there is some contaminant on the plastic. Looks like I should have washed the sprues? (!):stupid::banghead:

Or is Tamiya plastic still just better quality than Airfix?

Sounds like there could be something on the plastic left over from the moulding. I've never cleaned my plastic, but then again I haven't had an Airfix kit for a long, long time. Definitely sounds like surface contamination if it only affected that kit plastic.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Threadbear,

I'm building the Airfix Sea Fury too - and have noticed (it's impossible to ignore!) that my paintwork, particularly on the upper surfaces, has lots of "swirls" and lines that look totally unrealistic. Like you, I primed the model before applying the top colour.

I had a close look at a second, unstarted example of the kit and the swirl lines and patterns are present on the plastic - I don't know exactly what they are caused by, and they are fine enough that without paint they are quite hard to see, but there seems to be subtle differences in the texture/surface over each part that, in my opinion, would not disappear with washing, and is not the fault of your primer... I'm not sure what the cure might be. Thicker paint? A primer that has an element of filler to it?

It's very frustrating - I'm going to hope that a flat coat of varnish after applying the decals reduces the effect, but it is never going to win any awards...

It seems to me that this kit, like one or two other recent Airfix releases, has such great potential but is let down by irritating details. 

Cheers and hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

Nick.