US Museum needs help with RAF Thor missile restoration

Space Ranger

David Hoover, Curator of the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History in Albuquerque, New Mexico, writes:

"We are restoring a Thor Missile. We are at the painting stage and I am tasked with putting together a CMI package (color, markings, insignia.)"

"Since we know our Thor was in Britain we are going to do it in RAF configuration. Some of the missiles I see in photographs have a ring around the base of the nose cone. We have some opinions that it is a dark blue painted ring. Some say it could be red and others say it is the base frame for the warhead and it is not painted it is just bear metal.

"I have talked to just about everyone including the RAF museum and John Boyes who wrote several books on the Thor. No one seems to know for sure. I was wonder if anyone here could help us out."

Can anyone answer his question? If so, please reply to Mr. Hoover (mhoover21ATcomcastDOTnet) with a copy to me. Thanks.

http://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

• Like 1

Looks brown to me which is the colour  code for mid explosive.....not knowinfg how thor worked but did the nose get blown off(clearly before the big bang thing went off)..if so then a small smount of mid explosive would do it ....just an opinion

3 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Looks brown to me which is the colour  code for mid explosive.....not knowinfg how thor worked but did the nose get blown off(clearly before the big bang thing went off)..if so then a small smount of mid explosive would do it ....just an opinion

If you look at the other pages in this set of pictures  the ring appears shiny. Also the photo would not have been taken later than 1963 when the missile went out of service, and the NATO brown band Low ex was not adopted until 1964.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

20 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

If you look at the other pages in this set of pictures  the ring appears shiny. Also the photo would not have been taken later than 1963 when the missile went out of service, and the NATO brown band Low ex was not adopted until 1964.

Selwyn

Cor you know stuff 1964 eh ;)....and i meant low ...just like 3kg and 28ib/14kgs....its been a while

Edited by junglierating