Ground Equipment color in the seventies...

Kellni

Hi there!

I'm still in modelling my Gütersloh/Lightning F2A - upper engine change - diorama.

The Hangar is nearly finished and now I've started some ground equipment (4 Bottle Nitrogen-Cart, Fire extinguisher n stuff...).

On the only pictures i found so far, their color is green.

Is this right? In the seventies?

U.S. and german Ground equipment was mostly yellow these days. So maybe the RAF ones too?

Thanks in advance!

Kellni

P.S. maybe someone has better Pictures of them :)

and of course progress pictures will follow...

59 minutes ago, Kellni said:

Hi there!

I'm still in modelling my Gütersloh/Lightning F2A - upper engine change - diorama.

The Hangar is nearly finished and now I've started some ground equipment (4 Bottle Nitrogen-Cart, Fire extinguisher n stuff...).

On the only pictures i found so far, their color is green.

Is this right? In the seventies?

U.S. and german Ground equipment was mostly yellow these days. So maybe the RAF ones too?

Thanks in advance!

Kellni

P.S. maybe someone has better Pictures of them :)

and of course progress pictures will follow...

In Germany 1970's Matt Green with some yellow striping.

Selwyn

ISTR that Germany went dark green about 1974-5, then it spread rearwards to the blunt end, except for glider GSE. The colour was a dark green but very quickly it was superseded by IRR green. My memory was of both colours being identical. However, brand new IRR green always had a sheen, wether sprayed on or brushed. It was unstable however, quickly going flat matt and fading within 2-3 years to something akin to slate grey-green. It always looked like it needed a repainting even if there was insufficient rust underneath to warrant repainting!

Hi there!

Thanks for the answer :)

So my F2A XN793 ist dated "August 1972" - I can go for dark green in that case?

Thanks in advance

Kellni

P.S. Hers a pic of my Hangar in progress (the lights are working - I'm very curious how it will look like with the Lightning beneath it :)...

Lightning.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kellni said:

Hi there!

Thanks for the answer :)

So my F2A XN793 ist dated "August 1972" - I can go for dark green in that case?

Thanks in advance

Kellni

P.S. Hers a pic of my Hangar in progress (the lights are working - I'm very curious how it will look like with the Lightning beneath it :)...

Lightning.jpg

Looking good!

Remember though, no missiles in the hangar!

Selwyn

When I was posted to Bruggen in Germany in December 1971 practically all the ground equipment had been painted dark green, with a yellow band around it. Not long after all the buildings were also painted dark green as a "Tone down " measure. HTH  :cheers: