2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Mustang 👍 ... Ive seen the existing one in Oshkosh Wisconsin at the EAA museum. 

The aircraft at Oshkosh is a NA-73; no X.   It was pulled from the RAF Mustang Mk1 production line.

Back to the OP post, what kit/scale did you start with ??   Wonderful work, would like to know more about it.

Cheers, Tony

1 hour ago, Antun Jankovic said:

It is Accurate Miniatures 1/48 P-51A, but I scratch build windshield and motor air intake to reproduce shape of NA-73 X.

Well done Antun,  I love the realization of your Aluminum finish.

That is a lovely looking model and you should be very proud of that! Do you have any ‘in progress’ build shots to share?

The NA-73 at the EAA was not diverted from RAF stocks. The fifth and tenth production examples were always earmarked for US evaluation (where they languished unused for months after delivery as unloved!) and there’s was no break in the initial AG*** serial deliveries to the RAF.

Trevor

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Mustang 👍 ... Ive seen the existing one in Oshkosh Wisconsin at the EAA museum. 

It was not quite the same airplane as the NA-73X. The one at the EAA Museum was one of the two Mustang I's built for the RAF that were taken by the AAF for evaluation; serials were 41-038 and -039 and were designated XP-51. They differed from the NA-73X by having an extended and larger diameter carburetor intake and two .50's in the nose and one in each wing, as well as two .30's in each wing. I saw the XP-51 at a Confederate Air Force airshow many years ago, and it sounded and looked like a million bucks in the air and on the ground. It was amazing that they flew such a rare and priceless fighter!

Mike

Antun,

Your conversion is awesome! Well done, sir!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added word for clarity
  • Like 1