HMS Rodney with Shagbat: Mainmast

Here is my build of the 1/200 Supermarine Walrus by Trumpeter, with some help from Pontos:

1573_AE6_C-1998-48_B9-_AC79-_B5_EF6_C56_

And yes...there is a battleship attached!

231_E7952-6_A50-4878-848_E-_F31_F7_A145_

65598_B06-08_A6-4451-_A72_D-05_F66_F9_AD

8_DEDD8_CE-20_C4-49_A9-9739-6_A1_AB45_FD

To build the Rodney with the Admiralty camouflage dating 1942 and beyond, the Pontos set is essential, since it incorporates all of the changes made to the ship. For example, around this time she had 17 20mm Oerlikon cannon, but the kit only provides 13, as well as the quad 0.50 machine guns which were deleted. There were also changes made to the bridge structure, and more pom-pom directors fitted. While the Pontos set is expensive, I figured that since this is going to be my one large battleship build, I might as well go for it. Hope you like her so far!

Cheers, Tom

8_FF9_A777-3673-4315-_AEC6-_BA1470_D84_E

AA079_E12-_FA5_B-48_C8-86_C1-_D0408_B993

ADF620_C4-2063-4_E2_C-_B0_AF-_FDD55_A151

E1_EC7_EBC-857_F-4671-_BF6_C-47586_DE70_

Edited by uncarina
  • Like 23

Beautiful, I've got this in the stash and was wondering about the Pontos set, thanks for the advice.

Where are you getting your reference info re changes and numbers of guns etc?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick! I’ve been loving the precision and detail of the Pontos set, even if I need a little detective work from time to time with the instructions. For reference I’ve been studying online photos extensively, and the Imperial War Museum has a good collection: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Rodney

The Shipcraft book also has some drawings which are small but do appear accurate according to photos.

Cheers,  Tom

7 minutes ago, uncarina said:

Thanks Nick! I’ve been loving the precision and detail of the Pontos set, even if I need a little detective work from time to time with the instructions. For reference I’ve been studying online photos extensively, and the Imperial War Museum has a good collection: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Rodney

The Shipcraft book also has some drawings which are small but do appear accurate according to photos.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom, I didn't know you could search the IWM!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Usman said:

That's amazing! The Walrus looks as if it's a much larger scale. 

Your Rodbox will look brilliant when she's finished.

Thank you! You are very kind. I’d still like to apply a little weathering to the Walrus, and the Pontos set really is a big help for adding detail.

Cheers,  Tom

5 hours ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

lovely work loving this build

Kevin, thank you! All of the added photoetch taking me a little getting used to.

Cheers,  Tom

Geoff and Mick, thank you! I’ve been working extensively on the bridge/octapoid structure, almost ready for an update. Lots of modifications and additions, thanks to the Pontos set.

Cheers,  Tom

Kris,

Thank you, I appreciate your confidence! Still a long way to go but I’m really appreciative of the Pontos set. I plan to post the next update as soon as I finish the foremast, hopefully within the next few days.

Cheers,  Tom

For this update I focused on the bridge/air defense platform area, known as the octapoid due to its shape. A lot of the augmentations that the Pontos set provides shows up here. I am enjoying the process, but some of the parts are incredibly small. Overall the set is precise, and it sure looks good unpainted!

Cheers,  Tom

qq-3-04605.jpg

qq-3-04608.jpg

qq-3-04613.jpg

qq-3-04596.jpg

qq-3-04599.jpg

qq-3-2.jpg

qq-3-04603.jpg

Edited by uncarina
  • Like 7

Brief update: assembled the conning tower and parts of the associated area. Good tweezers, optics, and adhesive are essential!

For tweezers I use: https://smile.amazon...ries*=0&ie=UTF8

No comments about ingrown hair please! I've used a lot of different tweezers over time and so far these are my favorite, minimizing undesired part launches!

For optics I use the Optivisor, and for adhesive I use thick and thin cyanoacrylate, and Future acrylic floor polish.

Cheers, Tom

qq-3-04622.jpg

qq-3-04625.jpg

qq-3-04629.jpg

• Like 8

That's a lot of etch! Great stuff! :worthy:

She does look mighty impressive unpainted there, you've got to be tempted to leave her unpainted?

Quick question, which kit is the tiddly 1/700?

Geoff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

That's a lot of etch! Great stuff! :worthy:

She does look mighty impressive unpainted there, you've got to be tempted to leave her unpainted?

Quick question, which kit is the tiddly 1/700?

Geoff

Geoff, thank you, much appreciated! I am tempted, but the Admiralty camouflage is so compelling. The wee counterpart is the Tamiya waterline HMS Nelson.

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Wow, that's a whole lot of fine detail, very nicely done! Looks an absolute beast too!

Clive, Thanks! I’m really pleased with the build so far, and she is getting heavy with all of the added metal!

Cheers,  Tom

Just a small update, but with the delicate intricacies of the funnel interior, I thought I would post my progress. This has to be one of the most delicate parts of the build so far!

Cheers, Tom

qq-3-04638.jpg

qq-3-04640.jpg

qq-3-04643.jpg

qq_IMG_3704.jpg

• Like 10

12 hours ago, uncarina said:

Just a small update....

Erm... :gobsmacked:

That's astounding! You must be a surgeon with your own personal electron microscope!

If the size of the model wasn't enough to dissuade me from following in your footsteps, this degree of intricacy would do it for sure! I shall instead content myself with following, and looking on in awe and wonderment.

Well done sir!

• Like 1