Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant, 1/48

This was a Christmas present off my lovely sister and builds up very nicely indeed. I have built it out-of-the-box with just the addition of some generic photo-etch belts on the front seat. The main colours are from Tamiya with others from Vallejo Model Air. I found the Airfix decals to be quite thick and difficult to get to conform, but they did with lots of Micro Sol and perseverance. I tried some post shading on the underside, but prefer pre-shading as it can be covered more easily when you get carried away! I tried to vary the camo colours as I worked by adding drops of white, but it may be too subtle. The panels lines were brought out using an oil wash. It still looks pretty clean - but they all were at some point! It has now joined the line up of Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109 and Stuka on my Battle of Britain shelf and will be followed with the new ICM He111 soon.

DSC08457

DSC08456

DSC08446

DSC08444

DSC08443

• Like 29

What a beauty! It looks stunning! It is not often to see a Defiant that flew around the time of the Battle of Britain that doesn' t wear 234 squadron's PS codes. It's so nice to see it finished in this scheme,  to me, it has a regional historical aviation significance. (as I am a member of the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum at Doncaster).

In October 1940, the 307 squadron was based at RAF Hatfield Moor in S. Yorks. Its an airfield name few will recognise, that is, until you read the airfields new name......

In 1941 RAF Hatfield Moor became better known as  RAF Lindholme, the only South Yorkshire airfield to operate both the Avro  Manchester and Lancaster.

Incidentally, in 1978, I took my first ever flight, as a snotty nosed air cadet in a Sedbergh flown from here.

• Thanks 1