Airfix Folland Gnat, 1/48.

For some reason, this had been sat on the shelf for some time, about 60% complete. I suspect that I had had to clear away all my modelling stuff from the kitchen and I had simply not got round to picking it up again. It's my first jet too.

Anyway, here is my out-of-the-box rendition of the cute little Gnat from the Central Flying School in 1964 - the year of my birth... The kit goes together really well, as documented many times before. I used Tamiya silver paint and flourescent orange from the Vallejo Model Colour range. I found the Airfix decals a little thick and difficult to get to conform event with Micro Sol. I've kept it clean with just a wash of Payne's Grey oil to highlight the panel lines a little.

I hope you like it!

DSC08430

DSC08435

DSC08429

DSC08428

• Like 33

That is rather nice.  But how do you get on with Tamiya silver paint? I have a jar but it doesn't quite end up how I expect it. Too 'glittery' for my liking. Even when well stirred and brush painted on it gets lumpy. Sorry but I don't like the paint, but your model looks good.

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

That is rather nice.  But how do you get on with Tamiya silver paint? I have a jar but it doesn't quite end up how I expect it. Too 'glittery' for my liking. Even when well stirred and brush painted on it gets lumpy. Sorry but I don't like the paint, but your model looks good.

Hi Paul. I know what you mean! I sprayed this on, diluted by 15-20%, and had no issues with it clogging. The finish on this plane worked out reasonably well after I had given it a few coats of clear gloss before decals etc. I've recently bought some of the Vallejo Model Air metallics and they seem to be much smoother. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That's stunning mate, I love it! 

Were the CFS Gnats based at Little Rissington in the mid-60s?

Thanks! According to Airfix, these were at Little Rissington. This one is dated as 1964.

• Like 1

Nicely done.  I'm doing one at the moment, it's certainly one of Airfix's better efforts, even with a short-shot headbox on one of the seats on my example.

Did you have any issues fitting the wings? I had a bit of trouble with the leading edge root of the staboard wing, but it may have been me.

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Nicely done.  I'm doing one at the moment, it's certainly one of Airfix's better efforts, even with a short-shot headbox on one of the seats on my example.

Did you have any issues fitting the wings? I had a bit of trouble with the leading edge root of the staboard wing, but it may have been me.

Cheers. It's a while back, but I don't recall any issues there. I spent most time getting the intakes to sit in nicely, but don't think I resorted to much filler!

• Like 1