Heller Spitfire MK XVIe

Here's my most recent construction, a Heller MK XVIe Spitfire. A strange little kit of quite glutinous black plastic but enjoyable and a nice easy build which suited me fine.

I tried to follow some help I was given regarding laying down some diluted PVA glue before applying decals and it certainly worked allowing a bit of movement but unfortunately didn't prevent the decal silvering. I painted over the whole thing after with a matt varnish.

I think it looks like a late war Spit so not too disheartened as it is a bit of a learning curve for me and I took some pics to share here. I think this is my best effort to date, which is not saying much!

One thing, did late war Spits really have emerald green code letters?

DSCN3022.jpg

DSCN3023.jpg

DSCN3024.jpg

Blimey, these close up pics really show all the flaws don't they? :huh:

• Like 15

It's all a learning curve Neil,basically a good sound build,personally I'd get some clear gloss for your next kit (I like Humbrol) and give it a couple of good

coat's for decalling,that said if this was an older Heller issue decals can be a lost cause before you've started,sand your seam's  especially along the 

fuselage and wing leading edges you may loose raised detail on older kit's but it's a price worth paying,if you brush paint thin it a little for a smoother

finish whether acrylic or enamel it gives you a liitle more work time especially painting camo over the base colour,canopies to me are a pain I deal with them

by painting the framing black and when dry scrape off any overpaint with a cocktail stick,add the final colour and repeat.

The basics are there it just need's a few cheap kit's to hone your skill's with and you'll be posting an Airfix

1/24 Typhoon in no time,looking forward to the next RFI.:)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

It's all a learning curve Neil,basically a good sound build,personally I'd get some clear gloss for your next kit (I like Humbrol) and give it a couple of good

coat's for decalling,that said if this was an older Heller issue decals can be a lost cause before you've started,sand your seam's  especially along the 

fuselage and wing leading edges you may loose raised detail on older kit's but it's a price worth paying,if you brush paint thin it a little for a smoother

finish whether acrylic or enamel it gives you a liitle more work time especially painting camo over the base colour,canopies to me are a pain I deal with them

by painting the framing black and when dry scrape off any overpaint with a cocktail stick,add the final colour and repeat.

The basics are there it just need's a few cheap kit's to hone your skill's with and you'll be posting an Airfix

1/24 Typhoon in no time,looking forward to the next RFI.:)

Thanks Steve, some good info there. It's all the encouragement I get on here that keeps me going although I am enjoying it.

Got the Whitley to come once the paint arrives!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neil.C said:

One thing, did late war Spits really have emerald green code letters?

No, they definitely did not. It's a fault that is typical for this kit. They should be sky, I think. The later issue of the Matchbox Spitfire Mk. IX/XVI does have decals for the same plane in the right colour. Note: the blue signature colour of 349 (Belgian) squadron is also a lighter blue.

That's a very nice effort. I think that the most visible improvement you could make to this model is painting the canopy framing. What paint did you use? It came out quite well, even if a bit thick in places, like the yellow details. Yellow is a difficult colour, but still the mantra is several thin layers instead of one thick one. ;)

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ivand said:

No, they definitely did not. It's a fault that is typical for this kit. They should be sky, I think. The later issue of the Matchbox Spitfire Mk. IX/XVI does have decals for the same plane in the right colour. Note: the blue signature colour of 349 (Belgian) squadron is also a lighter blue.

That's a very nice effort. I think that the most visible improvement you could make to this model is painting the canopy framing. What paint did you use? It came out quite well, even if a bit thick in places, like the yellow details. Yellow is a difficult colour, but still the mantra is several thin layers instead of one thick one. ;)

Thanks ivand.

The yellow was a Revell aqua colour, and yes it does look a bit thick!

For the rest I used a Hataka blue line RAF set, brush optimised acrylic  paint.

htk-bs07.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Keep turning them out Neil.  For detailed work try a jewllers eye glass ideal for when painting canopy supports etc.  Nice one mate.

Good idea.

That's something I have got!

Good job. Next step up will be canopy frames (which I still find problematic after 50 years).

The Heller Spitfire XVIe is a nice kit - given its age. The decals are poor however and are best replaced with aftermarket items.

I have at least one of these Heller Spits in the stash and I have a set of specioalist decals earmarked for it.

• Like 1

I have built at least three over the years and I think I might still have one around, but it will be replaced at some time. you have made a fair stab at quite an old kit (first appeared about 1979 I think). I would echo what others have said re building etc. Once you have started dealing with join lines, your models will move to new level and although getting rid of join lines etc. takes time and a bit of patience it is very rewarding to see. I have just put a Spitfire up and this was a limited run kit that needed a bit of work

Thank you for posting your model and best of luck with the next one. model building is a learning curve, although I seem to reached the stage of too many kits and too little time. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your unstinting help and encouragement.

I know my efforts are pretty laughable compared to the stuff I see on here but I think I am improving with every kit - and I am enjoying myself (mostly).