Where can I source tail plain swastikas ?

Hairtrigger

Just now, Hairtrigger said:

Has anyone tried printing their own decals?

Someone is bound to have done :wicked:

If all you want is Swastikas, it's probably not worth climbing the learning curve of the software you need to use, ensuring your printer is suitable, getting the decal paper and learning how it all works together.  There are lots of How-To videos out there on the web though, if you fancied giving it a go :)

you can also get them on eBay, and again, you can pay with a credit or debit card through them, but you'll need an account.  Generally, buying anything on the web ends up with you having an account somewhere, and PayPal is one of the more secure methods of paying for goods.  Maybe it's time to change your outlook on the matter? ;)

1 hour ago, Hairtrigger said:

Has anyone tried printing their own decals?

Yes. I have.

Its no big problem. But I have a DTP program for drawing such things on.

The main problem is the white in the swastika. The solid black, the stenciled black and even the grey versions are no problem. The white versions are not so easy but can be done.

Hello, Hairtrigger

One simple rule for homemade decals: the darker the colour, the better the covering. A plain black swastika without white border is probably one of the easiest tasks for a novice in a home printing game. For printing white, of course, one needs ALPS printer or something similar.

xpwQa1A.jpg

This is less than perfect surplus airliner title for A319 in 1/144, which I put on 1/72 DC-6B fuselage to test hair dryer technique for applying decals. Although decal is flawed, it stuck to a surface without a problem. Cheers

Jure

I believe that there are decal papers that have the "white" backing already on it. That is; if you were to dip the whole sheet in water; you will have a large rectangular piece of white decal to put on your subject(XB-70?). This will allow one to print RAF roundels of the early WW2 era, USAAF/USN/USMC insignia, etc. It's an option. Micro Mark here in the USA(New Jersey) offers a complete line of decal papers, setting solutions, etc. I am certain that there are LHS, and mail order/online stores in the UK that do the same. Good luck. Several decal makers also offer just the swastikas in the various styles and sizes in which they were applied. I want to say Techmod may offer them; but, I might have them confused with another company. And, yes, they do the different scales.

HTH

Joe

The white decal paper doesn't get you around the problem of unwanted white outside of your subject. Printing the black swastika on whit paper is easily done but you now have to carefully trim away the unwanted white - or mask and paint over it.

Crimea River, that's true; but, a good set of fine scissors(and sharp) can help with that. I found one of these in the aforementioned Micro Mark catalogue; it is also found on their website. A craft or sewing-goods store(do those still exist?) may also have these kind of scissors. It is a trade-off if one is looking to print their own decals. Yours is a good point.

Joe

If you use an inkjet printer to print on white decal paper if you cut too close to the printed part the ink will run. With something like the swastikas you could use a laser printer to print and you should not have that problem

• Like 1

Techmod is making swastikas in different scales, for example decal number 32003 is in 1/32 and looks like that:

1:32 Kalkomania niemieckie swastyki TECHMOD 32003

There are also  in 1/24, 1/48. 1/72 - all by Techmod available in many internet shops, try to write in Google "Techmod decals"

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I have had a paypal acct for some years now. Its quite easy to set up (but keep pencil and paper handy to note down passwords etc if youre anything like me lol ) I pay my phone bills and all manner via PP as it adds an extra layer of security and with the one click transaction its dead easy. Its a lot easier to stop payment and get redress too in the event of some dodgy deals (part of normal life online nowadays)

As to swastikas. ebay will have them for sure but be aware they are banned in any form in some countries particularly Europe so you might have a bit of trouble here and there.

HTH (btw your mileage may differ ...I'm in Australia)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 10:54 AM, Black Knight said:

If you use an inkjet printer to print on white decal paper if you cut too close to the printed part the ink will run. With something like the swastikas you could use a laser printer to print and you should not have that problem

Lser printing indeed removes this problem but there's another one: trimming very close to the artwork can result in "chipping" of the toner and the modeller is left with jagged black edges instead of nice straight ones. Coating the artwork with some good clear varnish helps a lot but chipping can still occur.

Giorgio, this is true; but, this "chipping" could then be used as a weathering technique by a canny modeler. I am certain that more than a few modelers would realize that this would work for them.

Joe

13 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Giorgio, this is true; but, this "chipping" could then be used as a weathering technique by a canny modeler. I am certain that more than a few modelers would realize that this would work for them.

Joe

Not really as any chipping of the toner would reveal the underlying white background and this would only work on a white painted aircraft, on which I wouldn't bother using white decal paper.

My personal solution in these cases was to touch-up any chipping with a small brush before applying the decal. Worked most of the times. Today I prefer to print the decal on clear decal paper and cut a white background of the correct size to apply before the main decal. The paper I use is very thin so allows me to overlay one over the other with no big problem. Mind, not that I would print a 1/72 swastika anymore as there are enough aftermarket sheets around. I still print black only swastikas though, printing my own gives me the perfect size everytime

Giorgio, you have to ruin all my fun, don't you?:( Okay, on a more serious note, you have pointed out something that I had not considered; and, you are correct. Grazie!