orange Peel how to fix HELP

jdm85

I'm spraying some Tamiya X7 and I have an orange peel effect. I've thinned  the paint down to what I think is a good ratio. Maybe I was spraying at too high of a PSI.

Anyway I can fix the orange peel? Should I spray clear over and it will level out or do I need to go over the paint with 1200grit and repaint?

The usual method is to sand back the top coat. Personally I'd use 2000 grit wet and dry. 

As to preventing it in the first place, I've not got much idea. I think it's a trait of acrylic paints, like the water based paint used in the automotive trade. Never had those problems with good old 2 pack. 

Hope that helps you out. 

Matt 

I’ve heard a misting coat of neat Mr colour self levelling thinners will soften and level the paint also bringing it to a very high gloss finish at the same time, never tried it myself but a bit of experimentation might be the right way to go ;)

It's caused by the paint drying too soon, before it's had a chance to flow out on the surface and level. The orange peel surface happens because the paint doesn't flow together and just dries where it is on the surface. That's why you get those craters. There are a few things you can do to remedy it and also a few things to stop it happening in the first place. 

Make sure the paint is thin enough, like milk, spray nearer to the model and wetter coats should allow it to flow together better. Tamiya acrylic is hard to work with and I've had the same orange peel with it many times. Mr Color lacquer or the new Tamiya lacquer will work better with Mr Levelling thinner.

To remedy what you have already you can gently flat the paint back and level it with wet and dry, then either apply a clear coat or more colour coats.