56 sqdn checkertail Lightning question

Red Dot

hi all,

Does anyone have any photographic proof that the 56 sqdn checkertail Lightnings had large codes under their wings please. The Flightpath decals don't include them and the newly painted Bruntingthorpe Lightning doesn't either, but every other Lightning underside photo i have seen does, just no pictures of chekertailed ones annoyingly.

thanks in advance

Andy

hi all,

Thanks for the help. I guessed the answer was that it should have codes under the wings but thought i would double check.

I must have seen an early picture of the Bruntingthorpe Lightning or they were literally just hidden in the shadows. It seems that Flightpath missed the codes off their sheet which is no problem as i will just use the kit decals instead.

thanks

Andy

Just standard serial presentation under the wings, and on the fuselage. The actual 'codes' on the airbrakes may be slightly different though. I used the Modeldecals ones on mine, and the 'D' is slightly squashed on one side. Other than that, standard 1960s Lightning markings, with the superb chequerboard fin of course!

1z1z8km.jpg

23w1jqc.jpg

2hp3tb6.jpg

• Like 2

the big question is, Where did you get the red D from? It's not on the Flightpath sheet as they only have K

cheers

andy

27 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

the big question is, Where did you get the red D from? It's not on the Flightpath sheet as they only have K

cheers

andy

The decals are from Modeldecal set no 56. I think I got them on eBay.

On 3/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, Red Dot said:

hi all,

Does anyone have any photographic proof that the 56 sqdn checkertail Lightnings had large codes under their wings please. The Flightpath decals don't include them...

If you can find this set it includes the underwing serials and the fuselage code letter,

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/aero/am48370.htm

I might have spares in my Lightning decals box, give me a day or so to rummage.

Edit, I think I've sussed it

It looks like the Flightpath set has the fuselage code letters, but not the underwing serials (for any of the Lightnings portrayed).

It looks to me that you are meant to use the original kit (09179) underwing serial decals, which are made in such a way that you can build a large array of aircraft including XP746.

Edited by 71chally

hi James,

Thanks for the information. I might be able to get that sheet myself but i notice that the D (the only bit i need) is black when it should be red, see https://photovault.com/82129

However, any decal help is appreciated, even if it is only the white backing.

You're right about the underwing codes as i too noticed the small text on the instructions earlier when i was doing some decalling. Why don't we read them first?!

By the way, Akira from Japan sends his best and i will be putting up a post some with his Canberra progress. Boy is it good!

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Sorry Andy, I checked my decals yesterday and I have already used the appropriate serial letters.

You might be able to ask in the 'wanted' section to see if anyone else has the decals, as there were a lot on the sheet.

Hi Tweeky,

thanks for for the offer but I have that kit and the markings do not match XR719 I'm afraid. By they way, the Airfix decals are like cardboard, at least in the old kits. Truly dreadful.

andy

Edited by Red Dot