Question about 9th Lancers Shermans at El Alamein

PhilHendry

I am currently building the Asuka/Tasca Direct Vision Sherman II (35-014), as used at the Battle of El Alamein, and I’ve hit a wee snag. According to the instructions, and the odd photo I’ve found, 9th Lancers’ Shermans carried a jerrycan on the left rear of the hull. The problem is that the instructions simply show it ‘stuck’ in place - which, obviously, it can’t have been in real life. All of the photos I’ve seen are too small and/or grainy to really make out what sort of method was used to secure the can in place, other than that there’s a strap running up around the can and under the handles. Does anyone have any definitive information on the ‘holder’ for the can please? 

It was likely something done in the field workshops once the Shermans arrived in Egypt.  It looks to be a base plate with a lip to it to act as a shelf - the orientation of the the fuel can will determine the required width.  I've seen one close up photo from a NZ Sherman, and the strap that extends from above is anchored to a footman loop welded right on the top edge of the hull.

?imageId=images-15587&profile=access

edit, in this photo, it looks to be just "L" shaped brackets and not a solid plate.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Thank you! That’s probably enough info to scratchbuild something plausible. Yeah, it looks to be made out of angle iron. Pretty crude really - more like unit fitters than the workshops if you ask me... Though given the parlous state of supplies almost any time during the North Africa campaign, it might have been all the workshops had ‘to hand’.

Edited by PhilHendry
More info!
  • Like 1