Emil's Distant Cousin. Trumpeter 1/48 Me 509 *FINISHED*

I've always held a fascination for experimental aircraft, or those that never made it off the drawing board, or those that are just plain odd. For Luft-46, this is quite a restrained design, and had it actually existed, I would probably be less interested in it. It didn't, so it becomes instantly desirable.

I made a few relatively minor improvements to the kit (mainly to the undercarriage & belly radiator), but it would build quite nicely out of the box. Well done to Tumpeter for kitting something so unusual.

I've used very few of the kit decals, but only because I hate decals, most of the markings are from home-made stencils, and the camouflage is about as real as the aircraft.

As usual, I've overdone the weathering, when will I learn?

554683-20442-72.jpg

554681-20442-30.jpg

554682-20442-29.jpg

554685-20442-92.jpg

554684-20442-63.jpg

554686-20442-76.jpg

554687-20442-13.jpg

554688-20442-76.jpg

554689-20442-75.jpg

554690-20442-20.jpg

This is the AMTech Ta 183 that I built at the same time as the 509.

554691-20442-70.jpg

If you are interested in the WIP:

Thanks for looking and if you aren't Luft-46ed out by now, there is also my Ta-183 build which I bought on the same day as the 509, and did as a dual build. (I nearly put 'duel' build, “You cad, I challenge you to an Airfix 109!”).

Edited by Gorby
renew lost photo links.
  • Like 16

Thanks for your nice comments @clive_t and @Corsairfoxfouruncle.

As nobody commented when I posted it last week I thought there may be something wrong with it that I couldn't see but everyone else could. Probably so much posted that day that it got overlooked. 

So thanks again for taking the time to comment. :smile:

Three observations:

1.  GREAT stuff!!!

2.  That grey camo has a very 'Russian' feel to it, Like a Yak or summink...?

3.  I'm amazed you didn't use more Lead in that -509!!  WOW, that's like a Black Widow, CoG-wise!

Thanks for taking the time to comment @Convair and @Antun Jankovic:smile:

@prowler0000. To your three observations, three replies:

1. Thanks very much!

2. Good point.

3. How right you are. The main reason I did a WIP is because I couldn't find anything online which mentioned how much weight to put in this thing. I'm a bit OCD in this respect, if it's got a nose wheel, it's got to sit on it. Fortunately the weight was just enough, as there isn't many other places available – other than inside the wing leading edge (I think it was Clive_t mentioned that).

I thought that the 509 was always going to play second fiddle to the Ta 183, as it's less attention-grabbing, but now they are both complete, I prefer this one.

:thanks:

• Like 1