A-6E slats and flaps

lesthegringo

2 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

Pretty certain the answer is that the flaps and slats are always stowed when the wings are in the folded position, but thought I check with you experts out there

Cheers 

Les

Certainly not an A-6E "expert"  Les but I have just checked my photo library and it appears that you are correct in your assumption.  A couple of things.  1) When stowed on board, the outer wings are/were braced by a jury strut and do not appear to have been when ashore.  2) The mainplane upper surface spoilers always appear to be partially deployed when wings are folded, on board or ashore. :- 

zARGzm2.jpg

The purpose of the open panel shown in the photo is not known but it does not appear in all photos of the aircraft with folded wings

HTH

Dennis

• Like 2

I think the open panel is the one that covers the Ram Air Turbine.    Having checked a couple of books all pictures with wings folded have slats and flaps retracted

George

Edited by boffin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, boffin said:

I think the open panel is the one that covers the Ram Air Turbine.    Having checked a couple of books all pictures with wings folded have slats and flaps retracted

George

You are correct, sir. That is the door for the RAT and you can just make it out in the photo, Good eye!

Mike

• Like 1