1/32 Mosquito B.IV (Tamiya VI with HK Models IV nose)

• 11 months later...

Absolutely lovin this! A brilliant job.

Regarding the aircrew and their skinny-dipping. Am I right in assuming the Mossie carried a dinghy? If so, it must have been damaged, or the evacuation from the sinking plane was so urgent that there was no chance to deploy it?

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be grateful.

1 hour ago, cybershed said:

Absolutely lovin this! A brilliant job.

Regarding the aircrew and their skinny-dipping. Am I right in assuming the Mossie carried a dinghy? If so, it must have been damaged, or the evacuation from the sinking plane was so urgent that there was no chance to deploy it?

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be grateful.

Yes the Mosquito did carry a dinghy. But nobody really knows what happened to this aircraft and the crew after the attack by the night fighter. They may have been able to carry out a successful crash landing on the water at night, but there is no way to tell. It's equally likely the aircraft exploded in the air. In any case, the Mosquito didn't have a good record when it came to water landings; in fact, the first aircraft that I'm aware of that made a successful water landing at night with the crew surviving was DZ534 in July 1944: http://www.627squadron.co.uk/afs-bookpartII-Mossies-Swim.htm

• Like 2

Fantastic!! The detail work is amazing, the paint job is great and the weathering and wear make this such a realistic build. I'm fascinated by the rust around the door in the floor of the cockpit -- it looks so real!

The story is interesting too, thanks for sharing it. I like it when modeling subjects have some details behind them!

• 1 year later...

Simply gorgeous,.... and now that you have done all of that Tamiya will now announce a B.Mk.IV kit,..... it is Sod`s Law!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Simply gorgeous,.... and now that you have done all of that Tamiya will now announce a B.Mk.IV kit,..... it is Sod`s Law!!

Cheers

Tony

Hah well thankfully I already finished this in 2018 but I do think that a B.IV from Tamiya is not out of the question. Especially the PE fret with the kit includes some unused parts that might be applicable for a bomber version. But Tamiya works in mysterious ways...

I have an HK IX kit in the stash as well, but I can't bring myself around to start it. The nose is actually very problematic - I still think that my solution of swapping the windows improves the look but there are more things off.

If I had to do this again I would actually try it with a Revell bomber nose. Overall that's more accurately shaped, although the side windows are too big and oddly shaped so they'd need to be changed and obviously the main canopy needs replacing as well.

• Like 1