Beech C45 Expeditor

Well, I tried some foil on one of the spinners to see... I can always paint over if I go for blue.

IMG_20180329_234607

IMG_20180329_234525

Got the main gear on as well, so she's up on her feet.

That was a bit of a struggle.

The legs should definitely be fitted BEFORE the doors! I had to get a bit creative to shoe-horn them in.

IMG_20180329_225712

• Like 2

http://www.twinbeech.com/beech18differences.htm

This link should take you to a site dealing with real Twin-Beech issues, modifications and keeping them flying.

Wow!

Much information and insights on the MANY differences, most particularly in this instance, the wheels- and brakes.

I downloaded several pictures for my reference, but it would be unfair, I think, for me to start pasting them here and there without any permissions.

What is pictured above is a later type Goodyear disc brake system, or maybe a later upgrade by Cleveland. ($12000 worth!)

What I have with the ICM kit is the earlier Bendix 33SC wheel with a drum brake and teardrop shaped cutouts.

And"doghouse" type (early) main legs, as opposed to the later "wishbone" type lower legs.

See what happens when you start looking into this stuff....???

You start talking like an obsessive 

maniac!

Any way, I'm going with Early, drum brake, balloon tyre, no fancy double hydraulic hoses.....  Not because I'm lazy or careless, but because it's the correct option!😃

Turns out this earlier type is seldom seen now, because those tyres are impossible to find.

This is why all the reference pics of current airframes have the later systems installed.

Not many bits left in the Box now.

I've hung the door and fiddled around.

Kinda spent more time reading crazy website info...

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 3

Here's my first go at making a door hinge with a strip of pie dish Ali, to include a little fold to clip on to the door frame inner.

IMG_20180330_223104

Sorry about the picture quality here - my little android phone is way out of its depth on stuff like this...

Anyway, it's on, and the Ali hinges hold it quite firm without being rigid.

IMG_20180331_001310

Paint work needs tidying up,  and we're sorted 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 5

Trying to gather some information about windscreen wipers.

Definitely on here -

IMG_20180390_125628

And on the 3view drawings -

IMG_20180390_125456

And I'm wondering if I should make that Vshape aerial on the roof, instead of trying to rig the lines that go all the way back to the tailplane.

It would be simpler and less awkward.

• Like 3

IMG_20180331_150633

Wipers in progress.

I used PVA to stick two blades to the screen, and drilled two holes for stretched sprue drive points.

Later, a couple of arms attached to those and the midpoint of each blade.

I think they're double armed to keep the blades parallel to the glazing bars, but that's beyond me.

I'm just glad to get some wipers on!

IMG_20180401_212448

Then there is this....

IMG_20180491_123803

No wipers I notice, but the drive points are still there.

So, I've made this on top....

IMG_20180401_215600

Gonna post before I start loosing stuff as I switch to flickr and back, but there is a bit more.

• Like 3

So, all in all, I'm just about getting there.

Found some (let's say) prism shape sprue frame,

IMG_20180401_233754

that just needed a bit of a scrape on one face to be the right section for wheel chocks -  No parked plane should be seen without them!

HEY, you kit manufacturers....

Too many bombs and missiles,

And not enough CHOCKS!

And ladders, ground equipment.

Don't git me started on flaps and control surfaces...!😠!

Here, help me down off this soapbox a minute....

Where was I? Oh yeah, the antennas are on, the second spinner is foiled up and on- the Box is basically empty.

A few touches of paint on these bits and bobs, tidy up the doped fabric surfaces and prop. blades,

And De Vliegende Hollander is pretty much in the bag.

IMG_20180401_215925

Plan A worked a treat....

IMG_20180401_220348

Infallible....😂

Pretty little plane, isn't She?

I can see myself doing another Twin-Beech. So many of them still in loving private hands, and in the Air.

IMG_20180401_222747

Right, I got a small crisis with the "UT" from " DUTCHMAN" coming off on my thumb. I found it, stuck lightly to my steel rule 

Best sort it out...

IMG_20180401_233157

Edited by rob Lyttle
pic
  • Like 2

I'm just going to take her for a spin.... test out the Flying characteristics...

IMG_20180403_223346

Hey, not bad!😃

IMG_20180403_223439

Let's book a few passengers...

I have made a tentative start on the DC 3, and it's quite a bit similar in size, being 1/72.

I didn't make an ordeal out of the interior - the moulding is basically the lengthways benches that paratroopers would sit on, and I certainly wasn't going to get involved in making rows of seats that wouldn't be seen.

IMG_20180403_223104

The kit is fairly basic - I should think it's been around for a long time.

But let's see how it decorates up.

I'm thinking Air France for this....

but I've STILL got loads of options on the sheet.

Couple of odds still to do on the Beech, but there's a club meeting tomorrow evening and I think I will take her along.

The last time they saw the plane, I was deciding between USAF and Royal Navy decal options!😃

• Like 2

Well guys, as you can imagine, I've been working on the DC3 a bit, and let's face it, this little bird is just about finished.

It has been an interesting project, and a rewarding one , with a plane that's music to my eyes AND a sense of liberation from the " must be a copy of a real subject" rules!

Thanks to all for support and encouragement along the way, and lessons learnt.

Here's a link to the DC 3 build, which will include @Corsairfoxfouruncle method of prop attachments and any thing else I learned along the way!

Cheers!🎈🎆🎈

• Like 2

For the sake of completeness, I wanted to paste up a link to this research thread on the Beech, which produced some great information, esp on the tailplane arrangements.

Thanks to the contributors on that little exercise.

• Like 1

Beautiful Beech 18, Rob. Really looks the part. I wish your phone camera had better focus.

For the long career the Beech 18 had, it acquired a couple of less than endearing nicknames. The RCAF called it the Bug Smasher. The Brazilians call it mata-sete (kills seven) due to its poor single-engine performance. I heard one pilot say it comes down like a jackfruit on one engine :huh:.

Looking forward to the RFI.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

Pleased to say, the Twin-Beech had a nice day out on the Romsey Club table at the Poole Vikings annual show on Saturday!

IMG_20180411_142032

I had a few interesting chats about foil tape etc....

And She was recognised - from being on here!!

Who by...?

I forgot to ask! Sorry about that, but good to meet!😃

• Like 2

Rob, that turned out beautiful......in your mind, is the kit itself worth the build? I would love to do one in RCAF livery..... I have to say , your end result is spectacular ! Looks every bit the real deal..... take a bow !

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Rob 

Sheffield has turned out to be a real beauty. The metal finish looks amazing and I have been out into the garage and gathered up my rolls of builders tape and may well have a go at making something.  Thanks for sharing and the hints and tips. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

@Biggu, I thought the kit was worth the effort, and I enjoyed the build.

Issues for me, I guess, were first and foremost the propeller attachments - but I should have been ahead of the game there, and come up with a plan.

Each seat is made up of 5 pieces plus transfer seatbelts, which seems like a furniture fetish to me.

And yet the brilliant Beech design of the tailplane arrangements was barely hinted at.

So that doesn't really reflect MY priorities.

I removed a lot of the ribbing on the fabric surfaces - they were far too pronounced.

But these aren't major issues, are they? This is really just modelling! Sorting these things out is probably why we do it.

Someone pointed out at the start of the build that I had the new moulding. So there may be an older version around that's less good especially second hand.

So I'm saying Yes!

Great kit, and a great little plane.

🌟🌟🌟

And @bigbadbadge I'd say give it a try.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep me updated!

• Like 2