1/72 Type IXc U-Boat Build (U505 Early) Revell 05114

Ok, another cold spell grips Lincolnshire so still no painting.

I did prime some test cards ready for colour testing but I even had to bring these indoors before they'd start drying properly.

So, I thought I'd rummage in my sub assemblies storage box and prepare some of the remaining smaller sub assemblies for priming.

While doing so I managed to snap a barrel on one of the 20mm Flak guns.

While handling its sister gun I noticed one of its barrels wasn't quite straight so I gave it a push and snapped that one too.

I initially glued them back together but, seeing as I had time on my hands, I decided that the barrels weren't up to scratch.

They were kinda oval in section and when viewed from varying angles, one would appear thinner than the other.

So I chopped them off at the base and made new ones from 0.8mm MIG welding wire and used the flared ends which came with the PE kit.

The flared barrel ends obviously started life as flat brass sheet so I rolled them into a cone around a modified nail.

All parts super glued together.

WP_20180328_11_43_35_Pro

WP_20180328_17_31_25_Pro

WP_20180328_16_58_52_Pro

Thanks for reading, more soon.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG
  • Like 3

i love the way you have approached this build, and the way you have brought  life into her,  after 30 years in subs i dont want to build one, but love the way everyone puts together some lovely builds, as for me its back to looking at pictures of british cold war warships  

• Like 1

Hey Andy,

Superb work on those railing mounts. I like that attention to detail and those small triangular inserts are a very nice touch.

It's going to awesome.

You said you 'can see my heart is with aircraft', but I've learned a lot about Type IX U-boats, researching the 889 and it will definitely be finished.

I think having to cut out new hatch surroundings from the etched brass deck was trying my patience a little, but you don't glue a 1mm strip down the length of the vents, with all of the struggle that entails, without committing to finish it;).

Your railings are amazing. I went for some tehnoart ones which I'm intending to round off, but wasn't sure about how to mount them. Your build has decided that for me now.

Watching for regular updates.

Cheers Bob.

22 hours ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

i love the way you have approached this build, and the way you have brought  life into her,  after 30 years in subs i dont want to build one, but love the way everyone puts together some lovely builds, as for me its back to looking at pictures of british cold war warships  

Thanks Kevin.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, I value comments like this from someone taking on a monster build like a 1:72 HMS Fife.

21 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Superb work on those railing mounts. I like that attention to detail and those small triangular inserts are a very nice touch.

It's going to awesome.

Cheers Bob,

There's nearly thirty of them and they would all fit on the top of a thimble with ease.

I guess they'll have to be used now.:worry:

21 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

I think having to cut out new hatch surroundings from the etched brass deck was trying my patience a little

The PE decking is certainly challenging.

I chose to omit as it will be barely visible when viewed on my 5ft high mantelpiece.

Your build however, being a diorama, will often be viewed from above so definitely a detail bonus.

Keep with it Bob. Looking forward to an update.

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update.

The weather has warmed up so I've managed to get some painting (airbrushing) done.

The sub was in dark grey primer last time you saw it so I need to lighten up the upper hull so that the pre-shading works.

I used some Vallejo light grey per pictures below.

WP_20180331_11_31_10_Pro

WP_20180331_11_31_34_Pro

WP_20180401_10_19_50_Pro

WP_20180401_10_21_52_Pro

WP_20180401_10_22_31_Pro

WP_20180331_13_10_02_Pro

So, On to the dreaded pre-shading.

I like pre-shading as it gives me a huge head start on the toning and weathering later.

I don't like pre-shading as I always worry about the mess it looks during and after the application.

Unfortunately, I nearly always panic by applying too much covering finish coat later.

Here's the pre-shading...

WP_20180408_15_29_21_Pro

WP_20180408_15_29_34_Pro

The rivet lines were a little closer together on the Type IX vs my Type VII so, among other things, I was concerned about the sheer amount of black shading  vs grey background.

I needn't have worried because, as usual, I obliterated nearly all the shading with the top coats.

It is just visible in the light grey upper hull areas and, to be fair, most guides do suggest it should be only just apparent.

Ah well, I'll get it back later with the washes etc.

WP_20180415_15_48_48_Pro

So then I sprayed the deck areas.

As usual I tested lots of mixes on card before finally choosing a shade I didn't like.

Way too dark for what I wanted.

WP_20180420_17_55_20_Pro

So I regarded the darkness as a shadow coat and applied a lighter deck colour which I now like.

Obviously I intend the apply lots of shades and wear which will add interest.

WP_20180421_12_40_42_Pro

WP_20180421_12_41_02_Pro

WP_20180421_12_39_54_Pro

Ok, you're up to date fellow modellers.

On with the weathering.

Andy.

• Like 9

Cheers Courageous,

You're right. I have to get a bottle of each colour in reserve if i want to be sure not to run out half way through a session.

Though it is surprising how far the Vallejo Model Air paint will spread.

Andy.

Indeed, the painting does look good, especially on the hull. I happened to see this kit "in the flesh" in a model shop yesterday, my that box is huge! 

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just stumbling my way through the weathering at the moment.

Same old format. Mess it up, then over paint again with the base colour.

I always look forward to this stage, then grumble my way to a result that I like.

Definitely love/hate.

Picture update soon.

Andy.

• Like 1

Thanks Silonoz and Getunderit, very kind.

Time for an update.

The weather has been sweltering here in Lincolnshire, for the past few days, so I had to park the U-Boat in the lounge while I tended to the garden among other things.

Before that, I did get some lower hull and deck weathering done along with some detail painting and the decals on.

Picture story below with a few comments.

WP_20180428_17_57_23_Pro

^ Decals fitted. Battle Axe each side and the Olympic emblem on the front of the conning tower, or sail, as it's sometimes called.

WP_20180428_17_46_40_Pro

^ Decals from AMP are super quality. Possibly could be thinner if they were to be absolutely perfect.

WP_20180501_08_57_07_Pro

^ Waterline markings came with the kit from Revell. Technically should have been Roman numerals on the Type IX but they are so tiny, the naked eye can barely discern the numbers so their presence alone is fine for me.

They were a vivid white so I simply toned them down with some very light over spray in grey.

I'll do the same with the other decals as they are all quite stark.

The photo hasn't captured it well but you can just make out some staining and tone variation on the lower hull areas and rudder.

It's stronger in life so hopefully I'll get better pictures later.

WP_20180430_13_15_59_Pro

WP_20180430_13_17_52_Pro

^ Here's the props.

They have great shape and are even cupped, just like the real thing, unlike the Revell 1:72 Type VIIC which are very basic in form.

I sprayed the props a blue/grey mix then dry brushed them with some Humbrol gold enamel. I'm pretty pleased with the bronze look along with the patchy, bluey patina effect they might have had.

WP_20180501_08_54_44_Pro

^ Here's some of the railings fitted before painting.

Lots of smaller hand rails and detail still to add.

WP_20180428_17_58_01_Pro

^ Here's the present state of the deck weathering.

There's more to do but I have to take it very steady.

I soon get carried away and end up with a look I don't like.

I'd sooner it look like it could have done with more rather than doing too much.

Thanks for reading.

More soon.

Andy.

• Like 9

• 5 months later...

Cheers Kevin,

I'll be getting back on to this very soon.

I'd been putting off some decorating all summer, insisting it was too hot to be messing around with jobs like that.

"The paint will dry too fast", I told her.

Came back to haunt me... Here we are in Autumn and it's taken up all my daylight time for about a month.

Finished today so I'll post some updates soon.

Andy.

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Any news on this Andy ? 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Nice to be asked for an update.

My mum passed away a few months ago so I've not quite felt up to modelling.

I've got about half a dozen other interests and they've all taken a back seat for a while.

Definitely time I got back in the saddle though so I'll get the latest pictures uploaded.

I've started the weathering and now just need to get my paints out and press on.

Promise there will be more soon.

Thanks again,

Andy.

• Sad 1