1/32 EE Lightning F.6 XS903/AM 'Skyrocket'.........So it begins Update 25/03/18

Good afternoon everyone and I hope nobody has had any bad issues with the weather lately, it has been quite bad round here.

My WIP thread will be based on the 1/32 Trumpeter Lightning F.2A/F.6, a very subjective kit with many mixed reviews.

I brought the kit from KingKit at a very reasonable price. It was my first purchase with them and I won't hesitate to return, 

so thanks KingKit for the fast delivery.

There are many kit reviews and lots of information on the Lightning so I won't delve too much into that but I will however explain 

why I chose to model it.

As you can see in the Picture I have received 'The Lightning Boys 2' from my OH for Christmas and I am nowabout 2/3 of the way through and

find it fascinating! This along with a couple of other WIP threads I have been following especially The Spadgent's 

build has made me pluck the courage to finally get one. I have never really been that interested in them until I read a bit more about them and now 

I am fascinated by them. 

I have chose to model XS903 'AM' of 5 SQN RAF Binbrook due to the distinctive shark teeth also I prefer standard grey camouflage over the cold war style, 

just a preference of mine. 

I have also got a Quickboost Aires Ejection seat on the way, but I may decide against using this as I am thinking of modelling the jet just after take off with landing

gear retracting. I also have some OOP Master casters resin engine nozzles on the way and my profound thanks to the BM BST section and Gary 'Redcap' I have a set

of the OOP Xtradecal decals set to enable me to complete this. 

More than likely I will probably purchase more AM stuff as I need to go on if I need too and of course I have a PJ Productions pilot on order. 

So for now just a picture of the kit and of course the brilliant book titled 'The Lightning Boys 2' by Richard Pike. Also some of the actual aircraft.

More to follow soon.........

PS the 'Skyrocket' in the title was given by the pilots, Commonly described as 'Being saddled to a Skyrocket'.

yUuzPu9.jpg?2

YC2tFHO.jpg

Edited by ModellerUK
  • Like 4

XR770 AA and XR754 AE are the serials and tail codes of the other two jets that had the sharks mouths applied during 5F Sqn's annual Apc detachment in 1984. 

As for Skyrocket....its news to me I've heard them called Frightning's but never skyrockets. 

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1

Post #1.......

As in the usual fashion work begins on the cockpit. I assembled the cockpit and gave it 2 coats with a base colour (after primer) of Dark Admiralty Grey, which through hours of looking through

various posts and also the cockpit walk rounds (which can be found below if anyone needs them) I found to be the best match. A big thanks to everybody on the forum too there is a shed load of fantastic information

on here!! 

After the base coat had dried I began dry brushing the switches and knobs etc. flat black (my first time dry brushing too), I then went over and added white to some of the needles in the gauges and also various 

switches, once dry I dry brushed aluminium lightly over everything and a bit more over where more wear would be present on both the instrument panels and cockpit overall including the floor. I have yet to weather the cockpit with a wash and 'dirty' it up. The cockpit is by no means perfect but I am more than happy with the progress of it so far, after all it will have a pilot in and the lid will be closed.

Like I said there are a few little bits to add to the cockpit and I can then make a start on the pilots front instrument panel and start completing the cockpit.

As always C+C welcome and any hints/tips to improve if needs be.

Pic 1 - Cockpit assembled.

22rsYJu.jpg 

Pic 2 & 3 - Progress to date.

S1WsQGB.jpgKTC8OEp.jpg

• Like 3

On 02/03/2018 at 5:45 PM, tweeky said:

XR770 AA and XR754 AE are the serials and tail codes of the other two jets that had the sharks mouths applied during 5F Sqn's annual Apc detachment in 1984. 

As for Skyrocket....its news to me I've heard them called Frightning's but never skyrockets. 

Yes it was mentioned in the first ‘Lightning Boys’ book, the pilots described it as like being strapped to a skyrocket, 

• Like 1

all I'm saying is I've never heard any of our pilots call the Lightning that...........mind you we used to refer to the Harrier as the leaping heap. I've read both Lightning boys books and know a few of the Jockeys too,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couple of my photos they may help.

AA%20XR770_zps7rhynwzf.jpg

Above is Cyprus. The mess around the gun ports is grease. it was applied to try to stop the gun gases staining the paintwork. XR770

Shark%20Mouth%20stdb_zpsbdebmrmd.jpg

Back home in the Hangar at Binbrook. XR754 possibly.

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Couple of my photos they may help.

AA%20XR770_zps7rhynwzf.jpg

Above is Cyprus. The mess around the gun ports is grease. it was applied to try to stop the gun gases staining the paintwork. XR770

Shark%20Mouth%20stdb_zpsbdebmrmd.jpg

Back home in the Hangar at Binbrook. XR754 possibly.

Thanks Tweeky!! 

On the 2nd photo you can see a visible line of colour difference, it’s not noticeable on the top picture, is it just the light or is there a noticeable line there between the shades of grey? 

• Like 1

The top picture is XR770 which was the first lightning to be painted in the greys and was barley grey all over the fuselage and wing uppers . Light aircraft grey underneath. All the others were 2 tone greys as in the lower picture.

• Like 1

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q623/tweeky687/Lightning/Shark Mouth stdb_zpsbdebmrmd.jpg

If you notice your original pic there is a colour change on AM. There was several Schemes that was trailed, XR770 was the first and have various issues with the markings/stencils  

XR770%20first%20Grey%20Lightning%20Mk6_z

As can be seen above. Fresh back from St Athens. 

AM XS901 looks like its was a two or three different greys. What does your decal sheet say. I think the fin were different to undersides, and obviously the upper surfaces too.         Don't forget the stress panel (area under the wing root) was polished  bare metal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, pbaudru said:

Hi, what color did you use for the cockpit please ?

Hi, I used Humbrol Dark Admirailaty Grey, which is a bit too dark in multiple opinion, I have recently started the Aries cockpit and used light compass grey, this based with a dark wash is much more accurate in my opinion, stay tuned for an update shortly. 

18 minutes ago, ModellerUK said:

Hi, I used Humbrol Dark Admirailaty Grey, which is a bit too dark in multiple opinion, I have recently started the Aries cockpit and used light compass grey, this based with a dark wash is much more accurate in my opinion, stay tuned for an update shortly. 

Thanks a lot ! Yes I agree with you that DAG is too dark specially for 72and scale. I will try something adding some white on it. Cheers.

For the past 3 weeks or so I have slowly been working on the Aries cockpit that I received.

The kit cockpit was ok but I have been blown away with the Aries cockpit. The detail is superb and the mouldings are nice and crisp, well worth the purchase for possibly any future kit

I will be doing from now on. 

I found the Aries cockpit very easy to work with and the results are staggering.

This is the first Aries cockpit I have used and I am thrilled with the results, painted with Xtracrylix acrylicrange and the odd enamel here and there for switches et. I have yet to add the clear film for the HUD display and of course the ejection seat is still a WIP and I have yet to purchase a pilot to be seated in the A/C.

But here are a couple of pictures for viewing. 

As always comments are welcome.

tIxvS6M.jpg

jApaFEM.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, shortCummins said:

how easy was it to fit the resin cockpit into the fuselage?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

John, I have yet to do that yet, I will let you know once I’m there, I’m not gonna underestimate that I will need lots of filler though 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 6:45 PM, tweeky said:

Hello Tweeky,

Thanks for the serials, let me know if I'm right, They wear the Sharkmouth only in Akrotiri.

Don't know if they still wear it when they're back in UK.

And may be if they have the same Sharkmouth ??

I thank you beforehand

Hello Modeller,

I'm in the painting phase for my rendition of the frightning.

May I have a seat and follow your build ?

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Tweeky,

Thanks for the serials, let me know if I'm right, They wear the Sharkmouth only in Akrotiri.

Don't know if they still wear it when they're back in UK.

And may be if they have the same Sharkmouth ??

I thank you beforehand

Hello Modeller,

I'm in the painting phase for my rendition of the frightning.

May I have a seat and follow your build ?

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Sure thing! 

Mine wont be perfect as it’s my first aircraft in a while, have you any pics of your build? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ModellerUK said:

Sure thing! 

Mine wont be perfect as it’s my first aircraft in a while, have you any pics of your build? 

Sorry, no, I started her in 2004, too far in the build for a WiP, the RFI is not far off, I posted some pics on my other threads.

Mine is the Airfix 1/48 one with a lot of putty and sanding.

I opened all the NACA air intakes, the vents for the guns, guns that have been replced by Hypodermic needles

Aires or CMK interior, don't remember. lot of job on the adjustments.

Now I can post pics here if you wanted.

incerely.

CC

Fun! Looking great. As it happens I am building XS903 AM with sharkmouth in 1/48 right now. But that aside - enjoying your build! I picked up the Trumpeter 1/32 F1/2/3 Lightning - may be tempted to obtain the F6 also.

On 29/03/2018 at 2:02 PM, tweeky said:

The Sharks teeth were applied whilst on APC in Cyprus. The markings were still on the jets on their return to the Uk and for a few months afterwards.

I’ve a question if you don’t mind me asking, the radar nose cone (I think it’s that) what colour was it? I have seen some green and some a yellowish colour?