TAMIYA T34/76 1943 PRODUCTION

Getting even betterer! Truly up there with the best. Jiminez better watch his back!

What are you using for the chipping BTW.... sponge or brush, and enamels or pigments? I find the pigments great for rubbing back.

The only chipping I've done so far has been using AK Interactive Heavy Chipping Fluid, and I've only used that on vechicles with winter camo plus a tiny bit of brush-chipping.  I've watched how to chip solely with a brush/sponge and I will be trying that out on future builds.

But smelly-bum how much do I want a Tamiya T34???? For something costing around 15 quid (IIRC) it's a bargain!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Badder

Thanks buddy, appreciate that.

I did it all with brush. I tried the sponge effect, but need to practice that on a sample piece. maybe this Panzer one I have knocking around. Wasn't as easy as the Youtube vids or "how to" guides show. So defaulted to the brush. I used Vallejo Model Color, straight out of the bottle with a small amount of Flow aid. I was surprised it rubbed back slightly being acrylic, but noted as I said for future projects. 

I have some pigments knocking around somewhere I bought many years ago, that never used.  So next on the list of methods to practice - once I find them 🤔

I might do a winter chipped look on an 8 Rad I have been working on. An old Tamiya, so not as sharp in the moulding area. So it will help to mask some of those idiosyncrasies of old tooling. I don't think I can bring myself to winter camo on this one as I intended.....😬, I'll keep this circa July '43 Kursk.

And I thought the same a £10 plus shipping. Perfect for my first practice runs. Didn't want to ruin an expensive kit with a bad paint job.But I have to say, even being an old kit, it was a pleasure to build.

Well. managed to have a couple of hours free this afternoon, so off to the mud pits......😁

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

Cheers Glynn. I'm slowly breaking down those barriers of taking the plunge........I studied mud effects last night, and did a sample.

Tfpapr3.jpg

I'm going to tone down the colour. Here I used drawing ink dropped on while the paste was wet after a second application. So maybe over the weekend, I'll tentatively try on the '34.

Simon.

Hi Soeren, how are you mate......thanks on that positive comment.

I managed to pick up the compressor earlier than was planned......🤩, so i'm in painting mode for some time now with the backlog of builds I have on the go...😬

Thought I'd start with something simple like the '34. Happy with the progress so far. Learnt a lot after many years, and starting to try out the techniques I've read about for so many years.......as you can see, getting into the mud phase now. I'll do some more tests and practice runs and hopefully have it "muddied" up by Sunday.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Kris. Are you asking about the paste I’m using for the mud. If yes try searching 

Windsor & Newton Galeria Modelling Paste

https://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/mediums-varnishes/142-winsor-newton-galeria-medium-flexible-modelling-paste-250ml?utm_campaign=google_shopping_cw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlf-4jaLd2gIVY7HtCh0_Tg2nEAQYASABEgJPsPD_BwE

I picked mine up from Hobby Craft

regards

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966

4 minutes ago, Kris B said:

I will check the Hobby Craft. There may be something in the Range as well. 

If I understand right, the paste need some colours to add? 

Kris, I got mine from the Range. You can either mix paint with it whilst wet, or paint over it when it's dried.

Hi Kris.

As Clive said, you can add water to thin along with some colourant - either pigment, paint or inks (as I did). I applied in two layers to get that surface above. When it was 90% dry, I then started to texture it with a large old brush. I'm going to try and do some application with some old toothbrush's. Try and flick it on and build up layers as it would in reality....What's interesting, is it can be carved when dry.....nice additional feature.

Well, I'm taking a little break from the '34 and switching over to the SIG 33 Infantriegeschutz for a change of scenery.

Simon.