Revell 1/72 Sea Hurricane IIc

Finished this one two days ago, and here are the photos, followed by an interesting 'back story';

26688301668_4c9fa95450_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (1) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
26688300848_49a6ce106f_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (6) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
39849021684_437a0767cb_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (9) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
26688297418_5e9152fec1_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (10) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
38749362560_6fe931433b_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (22) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
26688298068_14d55b271b_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (24) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr
38749359230_b4be1190ca_z.jpgSea Hurricane IIc, NF700, 804 Sqdn, Ouston, January 1943 (27) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

The kit was built 'out of the box', without modification, but the markings became one of my head banging exercises. I wanted a Sea Hurricane to join my RAF Ouston, Northumberland, collection, because 804 Squadron FAA were based there for a month in January 1943. This was the only time that the Navy ever used Ouston, and possibly they were doing trials or exercises with new built warships off the Tyne. I thought it would be easy to find 804's markings, given that it is well known FAA squadron, and I had a definite date to work with. Wrong!

Sea Hurricane NF700 had an interesting history, and was originally built as a Hurricane Mk.IIc for the RAF with the serial number KW921. However it was retained in the factory and together with others was converted to become a Sea Hurricane IIc. Together with its six (later nine) companions NF700 was delivered to 804 Squadron and embarked on the aircraft carrier HMS Dasher. In October 1942 they sailed for the Mediterranean to join the American led invasion of French occupied North Africa. This was "Operation Torch", and to try and disguise the British participation, all aircraft taking part were painted with American 'stars' in place of the British markings. The theory was that the Vichy French defenders were more likely to capitulate to their 'friends' the Americans.

HMS Dasher returned to Britain late in 1942 and 804 Squadron disembarked and spent brief periods at two FAA airfields before arriving at RAF Ouston. By then it is assumed that the "Operation Torch" markings would have been removed and replaced with 804's normal codes, as shown on the model above. After spending the month of January 1943 at Ouston, 804 Squadron moved to Northern Ireland at the beginning of February, and handed all their aircraft over to 835 Squadron, including NF700. The story does not end there, because 835 Squadron had the aircraft overpainted in 'Arctic white' and embarked on the aircraft carrier HMS Nairana to join the Arctic convoys to Russia. It was on this voyage in 1943, that NF700 was landing back on the carrier in rough seas, when the pitching ship made it strike the stern, and it ended up crashed on the flight deck with a broken back. It was classed as a write off, and would have been stripped of useable spare parts, and dumped over the side into the sea. Cold and deep Arctic waters have low oxygen levels, so even salt water corrosion is held at bay, and it is quite likely that the remains of NF700 still exist to this day in its watery grave off Norway.

The 'white' Sea Hurricanes of 835 Squadron have been much modelled, and therefore serial numbers for NF700 were readily available. So this was the serial I chose for the model. However the individual code letter it wore with 804 Squadron is unknown, so I guessed at 'S7-A' on the thin assumption that 804's Commander would have chosen the new aircraft with the 'best' serial number for himself.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 39

Beautiful build,great background information and (to me) local,what's not to like?Now I want to go and buy Airfix's 1/48 Sea Hurricane and it's pay

Day!

What a lovely job and always nice to see a Sea Hurricane,....especially when it is so well done.

I`ve had a look at Air Britain`s `Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45' to try and confirm a code for you,...but it says;

NF700- TOC Yeovilton 12.42, to 787 NAS Wittering 4.43-6.43, 804 NAS stalled, heavy landing Charlton Hornethorne, Cat X 6.5.43 (S/L Barker). 835 NAS (coded 7T) from 9.7.43, hit round down broke back, HMS Nairana Cat Z 2.3.44 (S/L AR Burgham OK). 

So if these records are correct it seems to have missed Op Torch and the Ouston detachment,....... but please don`t think I`m trying to out do you or be clever,..... just passing on what I found as I thought you`d like to know,....I`ll gladly delete this if you wish.

Cheers

Tony    

Many thanks for the comments everyone, and to 'Tonyot' for its history extract. I have this publication and studied all of that batch of NF-serial Sea Hurricanes before selecting NF700 to model. There were a dozen possibilities but few of them specifically mentioned Operation Torch, HMS Dasher, or RAF Ouston. I was also referring to "Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm", and to other histories, and it seemed that the 'NF batch' went to 804 Sqdn as new aircraft, and 804 went on HMS Dasher to "Torch". NF700 was among the aircraft that 804 passed onto 835 Sqdn, and this happened after departing RAF Ouston.

So everything seems to fit the history I have given for NF700, even if the 'official record' for NF700 does not record every event?

I'm happy to stand corrected!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Acklington said:

Many thanks for the comments everyone, and to 'Tonyot' for its history extract. I have this publication and studied all of that batch of NF-serial Sea Hurricanes before selecting NF700 to model. There were a dozen possibilities but few of them specifically mentioned Operation Torch, HMS Dasher, or RAF Ouston. I was also referring to "Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm", and to other histories, and it seemed that the 'NF batch' went to 804 Sqdn as new aircraft, and 804 went on HMS Dasher to "Torch". NF700 was among the aircraft that 804 passed onto 835 Sqdn, and this happened after departing RAF Ouston.

So everything seems to fit the history I have given for NF700, even if the 'official record' for NF700 does not record every event?

I'm happy to stand corrected!

No worries mate,......it was just the fact that Op Torch took place in November 1942 which stood out. 

Cheers

Tony