Two seat Hurricane in planning stages

Troffa

• 5 weeks later...

Sad news,....... only the very well off will ever afford a flight and it will spoil a perfectly good aircraft in my opinion,...... we`ll see!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

I had read somewhere that an idea was to have it easily converted back to single seat for display work and twin seat for revenue earning by having a changeable 'doghouse'. Reading through the link at post 1, it seems  to be much more difficult than it sounds. Personally I think it should be left alone. BE505 is a beaut as is!!!

• Like 3

Being one of the apparently "well off" having enjoyed a flight in a Spitfire  (retirement present ) I am a little concerned about this kind of butchery. The aircraft I flew in was purpose built as aTr9 and as such "original ". I could go along with say a Persian one or even an open air Russian , but the Hurricane concerned is quite unique. Having said all that I think this one does have Russian connections. Having waffled on with all that it could be a choice between museum or blue sky!

21 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Regarding the guns on the Hurricane ,never seen an Hurricane with guns like that  .

It is accurate, as a Hurribomber I believe. Check out the Hurricane post on this site.

36 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Regarding the guns on the Hurricane ,never seen an Hurricane with guns like that  .

The Hurricane IIb  did have an extra pair of .303s in each wing with the barrels sticking out. They were often removed to save weight.

• Like 1

Easy to say when it's not your money folks.

Whilst in an ideal world it would be kept original, kept in the UK and toured around every airshow, the reality is that historic aeroplanes are staggeringly expensive to even keep on the ground in a maintained, insured and legally airworthy state. That's before a single flight over the course of a year. Then, we get various helpful people pointing out that flying them infrequently is dangerous due to lack of pilot currency on type. So, to be maintained, legal, insured and flown safely by a current pilot the owner/operator is committed to a staggering amount of money every year. The number of people with that sort of money to lose are few. Those who have it to lose and enthusiastic about losing it on WW2 aircraft far fewer still - so there's no certainty that it would remain in the UK or even in Europe otherwise.

The two-seat conversion will allow the owners (they say - not just me speculating) to offer the pleasure flights and thus the aircraft can earn its keep to a greater or lesser degree, and whilst allowing it to be flown regularly and giving the pilot(s) a good number of subsidised flying hours to gain proficiency in the aircraft.

When you buy your own Hurricane or restore one yourself it can be as original as you like :) Same goes for the bandwagon of people whining about Hispano Buchons wearing their Battle of Britain film style German markings rather than Spanish ones.

• Like 2

The bit that’s being cut away is part of the wooden ‘doghouse’ fairing which is a modern construction anyway. The metal frame maybe is original (ish)?

In truth many warbirds birds are rather like Trigger’s broom, with the handle and brush being replaced numerous times, so destroying originality may not be an issue. As for this particular Hurricane I have no idea how original the basic airframe would be, but there’s nothing to say that at some time in the future it may be returned to stock configuration.

Trevor

• Like 2