Decals turning black after 6 months!

opus999

So, at the risk of repeating my self, here's what I tried to post twice already:

I recently found my test piece again. No change at all. So I think it's safe to say that the old Testors decals reacting with the Alclad is not the problem. I'm certain the problem is using chemicals to try and polish the black paint. Of course, now my skills have improved I know how to get a glossy finish, so this wouldn't happen now. But back then I was still learning. Bummer way to learn.

So I'm calling this problem "Solved"!

12 hours ago, opus999 said:

I've tried posting twice to this thread, and while it shows up on my profile I don't see the update here...

Your previous post, with text repeated twice is visible to me, so now your results are in triplicate! 

On 11/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Your previous post, with text repeated twice is visible to me, so now your results are in triplicate! 

Ha Ha!  Of course, now I see all the postings....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

As a side note, the white residue that appears once the decal is submerged in water is a result of the decal paper that the printer used. For some reason, when the Scalemaster range of decals came out way back in the 1980's, they ended up using Decafix decal paper rather than Decaflat. The white residue is a byproduct of Decafix decal paper and it will absolutely ruin your model.  They usually turn a disgusting rust color over time. Since Scalemaster did a lot of freelance work for companies like Testors and Glencoe at the time, there is a strong possibility that your B-66 decals were printed on Decafix. Microscale always used Decaflat, which does not have that white residue, which is why their decals never had this problem. The back of Decafix paper is often a pinkish-purple color, while Decaflat is usually light blue. It seems that no one uses Decfix paper anymore, so everyone in the decal business must know this story by now. As someone wrote earlier, the "Invisaclear" decals might have been an attempt by Scalemaster to separate their newer work from the earlier Decafix disaster.

• Like 1