Did Eduard err with the bottom wing detail of their 1/72 Fw.190A-5

Wm Blecky

Not that I build 1/48, but I do like to check out Eduard's releases as a bit of a teaser as to what we might see in 1/72 as far as markings go.

Looking at the new March releases, I saw their Fw.190A-5 light fighter.  The plate that goes beneath the wing guns looks quite different from what I can see on the 1/72 Fw.190A-5 release (of the same version):

Latest 1/48 Fw.190A-5 lower wing:
KAMO_D_05.jpg

1/72 lower wing of same variant:
70116_marking_a_08.jpg

What am I missing here?

(FYI, both are the same aircraft - Maj. Hermann Graf's plane)

The cynic in me wonders if Eduard will release a resin correction at the same time as the kit,

at first look can't find a photo of the underneath of a real one to see which is more correct although I do still believe this will be the most accurate A-5 in 1/72.

I would still build it either way, as my kits don't go on any sort of display except in my cabinet, and who but a total FW190 aficionado would even know,

and I doubt I could get quite up to the standard of those in the photos.

Don't know if this answers your question, but I have attached a link to a photo of the Fw-190A-5 in the Paul Allen collection; IIRC, it was an original airframe recovered in the Soviet Union and restored to flight, so should be representative of the version. Note the blister fairing on the panel. Photo via acesflyinghigh Does this help?

Mike

fhc-fw-190a-5-may-2016-3.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Hello

Slightly bulged panel covers MG151/20E cannons. Flat panel is usually associated with underwing stores, like drop tanks, bombs, rockets, extra underwing cannons etc. Both panels had been common sight on A-5, depending on Umbau or Rüstsatz of course. Unfortunately, I have no idea which one is correct for Graff's aircraft. Cheers

Jure

• Like 3