British Challenger 1 (mk3)

I agree with others. For a first attempt at model making this is rather splendid! You chose a brilliant subject and the paint finish looks really good. I would encourage you to build more like this!

What paints did you use? The colours look spot on.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks for all your positive comments! :D

On 03/03/2018 at 10:01, Terry1954 said:

I agree with others. For a first attempt at model making this is rather splendid! You chose a brilliant subject and the paint finish looks really good. I would encourage you to build more like this!

What paints did you use? The colours look spot on.

Cheers

Terry

Terry

I used Olive green and Black matt for the camouflage, both Revell aqua color acrylic paints. For the mud effects, Tamiya weathering powders mixed with thinners and water.

It was a learning curve thinning the paints to the correct consistency for use in the airbrush, but think I finally got it right.

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, divad said:

Thanks for all your positive comments! :D

Terry

I used Olive green and Black matt for the camouflage, both Revell aqua color acrylic paints. For the mud effects, Tamiya weathering powders mixed with thinners and water.

It was a learning curve thinning the paints to the correct consistency for use in the airbrush, but think I finally got it right.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think you did get it just right!

It took me ages to get used to using my airbrush and getting the mixes right and even now on occasions I don't get it quite right. From what I can see the finish looks very well applied. I find this hobby a continuos learning curve, but thats part of the fun. You will find a wealth of ideas on here and my limited recent experience tells me there are many out there willing to help with advice guidance and shared experiences.

What are you planning next?

Terry

Hi Terry

I'm considering switching to Vallejo air paints which are ready mixed for use with airbrushes, rather than having mess around with paint mixes. Looking at the mass of excellent builds on here, there's lots of techniques I'd like to learn.

I've already started on my next build, a Tiger 1 tank. I'd planned on doing a military airplane, but chose another tank after having enjoyed the Challenger.

That's a cracking first effort Dave looks superb,I've got Trumpeter's still to build,can't wait now,why not post direct?some folk don't like link's

and you get direct impact.

Edited by stevej60

On 3/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, divad said:

Hi Terry

I'm considering switching to Vallejo air paints which are ready mixed for use with airbrushes, rather than having mess around with paint mixes. Looking at the mass of excellent builds on here, there's lots of techniques I'd like to learn.

I've already started on my next build, a Tiger 1 tank. I'd planned on doing a military airplane, but chose another tank after having enjoyed the Challenger.

Hi Dave,

You should try out a variety of brands of paint. They all have their followers and people get on better with some rather than others. Ive tended to use Tamiya most of the time but have used some Vallejo with mixed results. Its really all about experimenting and finding what works best for you. Airbrushing itself is also an art to be mastered and again just constant practice and use with get you more comfortable with paint types, mixes, thinning agents etc.

You made an amazing good start, so crack on!

Cheers

Terry

19 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Well for a first attempt this looks better than some of my stuff.

Good job, keep them coming.:smile:

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, much appreciated.

I wasn't satisfied with the mud effects on the side skirts, so I tried a different technique on them yesterday, which looks better. I'll post some updated pics.