RAF Hunter FGA9 - 18 or 24 20 lb rockets?

David Womby

OK.  Next question on Hunter ordnance.   The original Airfix F6 kit came with 8 x 3x20lb underwing rockets.    I have searched for days for photos of RAF Hunter FGA9s with those mounted.   I found a few F6 pics but this is the only FGA9 one I found:

1130087-large.jpg 

I also found photo evidence that the Rhodesian Air Force used those rockets - at least with 2 per pylon and definitely the smaller 20lb heads.

Can anyone point me to any other pics of an operational RAF FGA9 carrying these smaller rockets, please?   I have a hankering to do one with all 24 fitted but if not, I'll live with just 18!

Thanks

David

David,

I can't help with actual photos but the RP combination (4 stations per wing with 3 tiered RPs on each) is certainly a valid load. This is a diagram from the "Armament Notes for Pilots" which shows the various combinations of RPs, tanks and bombs,

Armament-options.jpg

Where 3" RPs are concerned this is a theoretical maximum as the maximum actually depends on the head fitted (as we recently discussed in a separate thread) with only 2 RPs per tier allowed when 60lb heads were used. Smaller heads could be carried in tiers of 3.

Now, it gets complicated because I suspect the photo you posted shows an aircraft 'tooled up' for display purposes only. According to the manuals, all those RPs would not be carried when the outer pylons with tanks were fitted. If carrying 100 gallon tanks on the outer pylon the actual number of RPs allowed depends on whether you planned on retaining the tanks or jettisoning them. If they could be jettisoned (which had to be done before firing the RPs) then 6 (3 on each station D - the innermost RP station) or 8 (one on each station A and C and 2 on each station D) could be carried. If tanks were not to be jettisoned (which means firing the RPs with the tanks still on the pylons) then only 4 RPs could be carried - 2 on each station D. The 4 RP stations were, outboard to inboad, A to D with the pylon, when fitted, occupying the location of station B.

I appreciate this doesn't actually answer your question but thought I'd post it as, if anyone wants to accurately model an RP-loaded Hunter, then there are 'rules' to be followed!!! :)

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

If tanks were not to be jettisoned [etc]

My faint memory is that you'd need an ejector mechanism to do that, which had a fairing above the wing, which isn't visible in that picture.  So that makes it more likely to be a display load rather than a practical one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pigsty said:

My faint memory is that you'd need an ejector mechanism to do that, which had a fairing above the wing, which isn't visible in that picture.  So that makes it more likely to be a display load rather than a practical one.

Doe the ejector mechanism eject just the tank?  Or does it eject the outer pylon too?

David

Alll Hunter pylons have a jettison mechanism. The earlier type was an EMRU - Electro Mechanical Release Unit - which simply released the stores from the pylon allowing them to drop away. Later an ERU - Explosive Release Unit -  was fitted which used an electrically-fired cartridge to help push the jettisoned store away cleanly. The ERU breech is what is covered by that bulged fairing on the upper wing. If that's not there then there will be an EMRU fitted. Either way there will be a release unit of some sort, apart from pre-Mod.228 wings.

3 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Doe the ejector mechanism eject just the tank?  Or does it eject the outer pylon too?

David

Just the tank David.

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

I appreciate this doesn't actually answer your question but thought I'd post it as, if anyone wants to accurately model an RP-loaded Hunter, then there are 'rules' to be followed!!! :)

Mark

Very useful info. nonetheless, Mark.

Thanks

David