Hello from North East England

shar1982

Hi all

I've been a sometime lurker on Britmodeller for a while (in awe of the quality of skills on display here). Earlier this year I joined a Facebook group involved with building classic kits and that has given me an excuse to share pictures of some nostalgic builds of kits I had when I was a kid. I was born in 1977, so I grew up with Matchbox and Airfix kits in my local Newsagents shop and I remember (as I bet so many of you do) getting my pocket money on a Friday, buying the kit on Saturday morning and building, painting and decalling it all on Saturday night.

I am 99.99% an aircraft modeller and I still enjoy the old kits, but I do appreciate the quality of modern mainstream kits as well. I do like to concentrate on the external shape, colours and markings rather than adding a lot of internal details (ie no patience!) but I do admire those who carry out this level of detail.

I do like to model mainly RAF subjects from the 1930's onwards, with the occasional Luftwaffe or USAAF aircraft for a change. I definitely build for my own satisfaction only, but I would like and hope to join in with a group build or two.

I also build and fly R/C model aircraft with my main interests being scale models and it is nice to build a possible R/C subject in plastic first to get a feel for a subject. I also enjoy watching cricket (first class and test), riding behind 1960 British diesel locos and a very occasional dabble in model railways.

I live in Bedlington, South East Northumberland where we have one good old fashioned model shop nearby, namely Kit Box in Whitley Bay.

Alan

• Like 4

Welcome Alan,a bit south of you in Durham,I'm on an old kit spree at the moment so know where you are coming from it's great re-discovering

the good and bad of some  classic kit's,if you haven't already check out the Matchbox GB.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shar1982 said:

I definitely build for my own satisfaction only

Hello Alan ... :welcome: To Britmodeller and model building. Im an aircraft builder myself though only plastic no R/C. The quote i have from your original post shows me that you know the most important thing there is to model building. If i can offer any help or advice feel free to ask. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcome chaps.

Thought I'd have a practise at sharing pictures to show some of my recent builds:

Heller 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk.5

PICT2774

PICT2779

PICT2783

PICT2808

PICT2799

PICT2795

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shar1982 said:

Hi all

I've been a sometime lurker on Britmodeller for a while (in awe of the quality of skills on display here). Earlier this year I joined a Facebook group involved with building classic kits and that has given me an excuse to share pictures of some nostalgic builds of kits I had when I was a kid. I was born in 1977, so I grew up with Matchbox and Airfix kits in my local Newsagents shop and I remember (as I bet so many of you do) getting my pocket money on a Friday, buying the kit on Saturday morning and building, painting and decalling it all on Saturday night.

I am 99.99% an aircraft modeller and I still enjoy the old kits, but I do appreciate the quality of modern mainstream kits as well. I do like to concentrate on the external shape, colours and markings rather than adding a lot of internal details (ie no patience!) but I do admire those who carry out this level of detail.

I do like to model mainly RAF subjects from the 1930's onwards, with the occasional Luftwaffe or USAAF aircraft for a change. I definitely build for my own satisfaction only, but I would like and hope to join in with a group build or two.

I also build and fly R/C model aircraft with my main interests being scale models and it is nice to build a possible R/C subject in plastic first to get a feel for a subject. I also enjoy watching cricket (first class and test), riding behind 1960 British diesel locos and a very occasional dabble in model railways.

I live in Bedlington, South East Northumberland where we have one good old fashioned model shop nearby, namely Kit Box in Whitley Bay.

Alan

Hi Alan

I had a flat in Ashington for nearly 2 years, until I escaped and moved a few miles up the road (literally). There's 2 BM'ers in our village now. Maybe it's time for an informal Northumberland scale modelling club!

thanks

Mike