Special Hobby 1/72 Vought Vindicator

Hi,

I finished this one about a year ago and decided it was time to give it a more public airing!

The Special Hobby kit is not bad but quite basic. The wing/fuselage joins were a little off, but overall the surface detail is very fine. I did some work around the wheel wells and the underwing flaps.

For the main colours I used Alclad II Dull Aluminium ALC 117 for the metal areas, White Aluminium ALC 106 for the fabric parts, and Xtracolour XA 1213 Gelb for the wing top surface. I mixed the Willow green on the cowling to match the decal wing chevron. I also gave the model a very fine wash of darker shades of each corresponding colour. I fabricated the bomb from the spares box adding plastic card fins etc.

I like this period of US Navy aviation (yellow wings) and have a Special Hobby 1/72 Grumman F3F and Valom 1/72 Devastator in the stash to join this one soon I hope!

The picture quality is variable as at the moment I'm having to use my mobile phone.

Comments/questions welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Terry

20180227_17112620180227_17103520180227_17101620180227_17083420180227_17082320180227_17081320180227_17113420180227_17121820180301_11014220180301_105856

• Like 49

Very nice!

Not the most well-known of aircraft, but there is something about the way it looks that I like.

I don't have the Special Hobby kit, but your excellent build is motivation to add it to the stash.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Looks like she just flew right out of the screen of 'Dive Bomber!"  Outstanding build of a classic  pre-war design, and I agree with the others on your representation of the different metal and fabric panels. Needs a 1/72 Errol Flynn figure to set it off, though!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Nice job, but they only started painting high explosive bombs Olive Drab around 1942. Pre-War they were yellow.  But more likely it would be a practice bomb (white with a blue stripe). But there are very few pre-War photos showing

a bomb fitted. The long range tank was often carried in its place.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 3:59 AM, SoftScience said:

very nice work, Terry. 

This is not one of SH's better products. Mine ended up in the bin, and seeing how well yours turned out, I'm mad at myself for trying to rush things. 

Thanks. I can tell you there were some early moments when mine could well have ended up that way!

On 3/2/2018 at 8:55 AM, Roger Holden said:

Nice job, but they only started painting high explosive bombs Olive Drab around 1942. Pre-War they were yellow.  But more likely it would be a practice bomb (white with a blue stripe). But there are very few pre-War photos showing

a bomb fitted. The long range tank was often carried in its place.

Thanks for the Bomb info Roger. I was not aware of that. As you say pre war pics showing the bomb are rare. I'm tempted to replace it with an appropriately coloured bomb (a repaint!).

On 3/2/2018 at 1:08 AM, 72modeler said:

Looks like she just flew right out of the screen of 'Dive Bomber!"  Outstanding build of a classic  pre-war design, and I agree with the others on your representation of the different metal and fabric panels. Needs a 1/72 Errol Flynn figure to set it off, though!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Maybe I should look for a 3D printed version of Errol Flynn!

Thanks to all others also for your encouraging comments.

Terry

• Like 1

The best period of naval aviation! My thoughts, for what they are worth.

You got it just right and the yellow is pretty right as well. Everything is gorgeous!

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jean said:

The best period of naval aviation! My thoughts, for what they are worth.

You got it just right and the yellow is pretty right as well. Everything is gorgeous!

Congrats.

JR

Hi JR,

Thanks for your positive comments! I tried a number of different yellows out before I went for that one as I thought it looked pretty close.

Cheers.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Hi JR,

Thanks for your positive comments! I tried a number of different yellows out before I went for that one as I thought it looked pretty close.

Cheers.

Terry

Hi Terry,

the yellow is pretty close indeed. On my side, I am going to get a rattle can of Tamiya 'Camel yellow', which Yellow Wings decals say is the best representation of orange yellow. 

So far I have used a very old pot of Humbrol Chrome yellow with a micro-dash of red in it, bur this is as good as finished... So Camel yellow for my Boeing F4B-4, and if it works, it will end up on my Vindicator and TBD-1 as well.

You live and you learn!

Great build!

JR

• Thanks 1

That is stunning Terry

I know that these Czech kits take a certain degree of application and dedication which makes your Vindicator even more impressive

regards,  adey

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Terry,

the yellow is pretty close indeed. On my side, I am going to get a rattle can of Tamiya 'Camel yellow', which Yellow Wings decals say is the best representation of orange yellow. 

So far I have used a very old pot of Humbrol Chrome yellow with a micro-dash of red in it, bur this is as good as finished... So Camel yellow for my Boeing F4B-4, and if it works, it will end up on my Vindicator and TBD-1 as well.

You live and you learn!

Great build!

JR

Hi JR. You live and learn indeed, and on here there is always so much to learn from other modellers. I may well give 'Camel Yellow" a try. I'm always up for trying other ideas and suggestions.

6 minutes ago, adey m said:

That is stunning Terry

I know that these Czech kits take a certain degree of application and dedication which makes your Vindicator even more impressive

regards,  adey

Hi Adey. Appreciate that comment very much. The Hobby Master kits are growing on me for their finesse, but as you say they do need some extra application. 

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 6:59 PM, SoftScience said:

very nice work, Terry. 

This is not one of SH's better products. Mine ended up in the bin, and seeing how well yours turned out, I'm mad at myself for trying to rush things. 

Oh! The first rule of modeling (even more important than "Don't rush things") is: 

Never throw anything away!

Cheers, -Lars

• Like 2