F-105D - would I be crazy? Image added

RidgeRunner

Hi all!

Please knock some sanity back in to me .... Should I attempt to build 58-1155/D-10, the natural metal (or aluminium paint finish) and International Red test aircraft used by Republic early in the test phase? I will dig out an image so you can see the challenge i might be tempted to embark on.

F105D81155

Credit: Republic Archives

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

If it's early in the test phase it's more likely to be in NMF rather than silver lacquer as the latter was a corrosion preventative measure introduced in the early 1960's, but without seeing a picture I could be wrong (the silver paint gives a more uniform finish compared to the NMF).

I'd quite like to see this model so I'm not going to try and dissuade you! :wicked:

• Haha 1

Here's a nice one done with the Hasegawa kit, http://www.topflightimaging.com/modeling/58-1155f-105dgallery.html

Reading the text sounds like the builder suggests that the tail fin and nose area within the red/orange portion looks like it was a pale yellow.

He obviously likes Thuds! http://www.topflightimaging.com/modeling/thunderchief_models.html

• Like 1

Oh I remember this one!  Yes you should definitely do that one!

To James' @71chally point, regarding the colour, I'm sure I read it was cream rather than pale yellow but without delving into my references I can't say hand on heart that I'm definite on that point and am willing to be swayed by good evidence.

Interesting subject though, looks NMF rather than silver to me, what do you guys think?

I would include cream under pale yellow tbh, I think the builder was making a point that it wasn't white according to evidence he found from a colour pic.

From the B&W I would have said white, shows how misleading it can be!

34 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Here's a nice one done with the Hasegawa kit, http://www.topflightimaging.com/modeling/58-1155f-105dgallery.html

Reading the text sounds like the builder suggests that the tail fin and nose area within the red/orange portion looks like it was a pale yellow.

He obviously likes Thuds! http://www.topflightimaging.com/modeling/thunderchief_models.html

Exactly what I need as encouragement,, mate ;).. Thanks a lot.

Martin

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I would include cream under pale yellow tbh, I think the builder was making a point that it wasn't white according to evidence he found from a colour pic.

From the B&W I would have said white, shows how misleading it can be!

I'd say it is one of the quirks of dayglo on old B&W film. I'd maintain it is that rather than white or cream/yellow. I could be wrong!

how would Ingo about doing the curved black liming around the coloured areas?

thanks to all!

Martin

Thanks James. I have a plan, though. I'll test it and then let you know how it goes ;)

....yes, I've decided to attempt the build. Wish me luck! I will need it. I have a further Trumper in the post plus plus appropriate resin :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

I'd go along with James' suggestion to an extent:

1.  Custom print a decal in the lighter (white/cream/pale yellow) colour with the black outline.

2.  Paint the equivalent shape white and mask off before painting the red.

3.  Overlay the custom decal over the masked area.

Do you think all those years ago when they came up with this scheme they thought "I'd like to see some crazy Brit try and model this in a half a century or so's time"?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I'd go along with James' suggestion to an extent:

1.  Custom print a decal in the lighter (white/cream/pale yellow) colour with the black outline.

2.  Paint the equivalent shape white and mask off before painting the red.

3.  Overlay the custom decal over the masked area.

Do you think all those years ago when they came up with this scheme they thought "I'd like to see some crazy Brit try and model this in a half a century or so's time"?

My thoughts exactly, Wez, although I plan a clear decal with the outline shape in black lining. If I use the exact same outline for the paint mask I should be able to match it. I would clearly cut it out as a thin line decal but the shape would be correct. That's the idea. It may not work! Specifically I would:

1. Stick wide Tamiya tape to the area on the model

2. Draw the shape

3. Stick that tape to a sheet of paper and scan

4. Draw a very neat outline as the template and;

5. Print a copy and a mirror copy to use as the paint mask and airbrush the paint shape

6. Make a further copy with the thin black line drawn on

7. Print on to clear decal and seal

8. Cut out including the void in the centre

9. Apply the decal to the painted area

Yes, Wez,  sure they had future modellers in mind. A part of their mind vending tactics, like Swedish camo and Czech digi-Camo ;)

Martin

45 minutes ago, 71chally said:

It's given me an idea for my 32nd Trumpy one!

Ah ha, so that race is on, although I will certainly be slow :(

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Natural metal,white and dayglo...a doddle surely! :wicked:

Your model would certainly stand out against all others though.

Hi Scimitar, 

are the the nose patches and outer wings really white? They, and the fin/rudder do look to be a solid colour rather than aluminium.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I'm sorry I don't know.

I was comparing it with the white in the star and bar but I know how fraught with assumptions that can be.

Your post piqued my interest and I went looking for colour pictures in the books I have on the F-105. Haven't found one yet.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Any ideas what the vent is on top of the nose, near the front?

I think it's a vent for the gun bay gas (even though there's no gun fitted), I think it was replaced by a scoop type vent which popped up when the gun was fired.  I could be wrong though, it's been an age since I went rummaging through my Thud reference.

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Scimitar, 

are the the nose patches and outer wings really white? They, and the fin/rudder do look to be a solid colour rather than aluminium.

Martin

Not sure about that but does the nose trim red have a black outline?

Hi Wez, 

yes, it is outlined in black. 

Thanks for your input. It always helps to bounce thoughts off someone who has some knowledge.

i hope you are okay in the snow?

Martin

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I'm sorry I don't know.

I was comparing it with the white in the star and bar but I know how fraught with assumptions that can be.

Your post piqued my interest and I went looking for colour pictures in the books I have on the F-105. Haven't found one yet.

That happens to me, too. I love this forum. There is so much knowledge and a wealth of interesting subjects.

Martin

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Scimitar, 

Martin

My view on these now is that the nose patch, the fin and rudder and outer wings are a solid colour. I'd go for white but I'll keep hunting for more info.

Martin

Martin,

I've dug my F-105 references out, only one shows another picture of your subject aircraft.

Thud by Lou Drendel published by Squadron-Signal under their Modern Military Aircraft series (No. 5004) has a picture of 58-1155 taken from low on the forward, port view.  Unfortunately it's a teeny, tiny picture, it really is difficult to make out the fin colour but it does look a uniform e.g. painted colour.

One useful thing it does show is that the instrumentation boom has a small vane close to the aircraft nose and a yaw vane nearer the tip, both of these are under the boom.  Slightly forward of the forward yaw vane is a horizontal AoA vane.  The barber-pole marking on the instrumentation boom finishes forward of the AoA vane.

That vent on the nose is a NACA type vent, I'm sure it would be for purging the gun gas from the gun bay during firing, unfortunately, it's very adjacent to the IFR receptacle and probe which would run a chance of fuel going down the intake into the gun bay...   ...not a very helpful scenario.  IIRC, later all aircraft appear to have had this intake removed and I'm sure it was replaced with one that only opened during gun firing.

The snow here is deep enough for my Parson's Jack Russel not to want to go outside until he's really desperate - I can't say I blame him!  The only problem is we live on a steep hill that's exposed to the north which means when the wind blows, we feel the cold!