Looking for a Land Crab

Admiral Puff

Does anyone know of a kit of the Austin (or Morris - I'd prefer Austin, since they were only sold here under that badge) 1800 Mk 2 ever having been made? I'm thinking 1:24 or bigger, for preference. A quick ask on Google throws up some 1:43 diecasts, but precious little else.

In the seventies there was a clear plastic version made for

converting into a scalextric racer. So that would be 1/32nd.

I did have one back then with ideas of using an Airfix Maxi

to make a static model but I can't remember what became of it. 

Pendle Slot in Lancashire do a Maxi in resin but it's in 1/32 https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/austin-maxi-resin-kit.html

It's currently out of stock but they usually do re-runs if there's any demand.

Other than that, it looks as though 1/43 die-casts are all there is.

Can't imagine anyone doing a kit in 1/24 or larger.

Dave

Thanks, all. You've only confirmed what I thought would be the story.

I may have a closer look at the Pendle Maxi to see whether it would form a suitable base for what I have in mind. In the early '70s I was the proud owner of a Schneider ES-59 Arrow sailplane (VH-GNH, ex Darling Downs Gliding Club, now in the Sailplane Museum in Victoria) and used a Land Crab to tow it around. I was thinking of doing a model of the car/trailer combination, just for old time's sake.

• Like 2

The trailer wouldn't be a problem - it was just a single axle box type, sitting on undamped semi-elliptic springs, with a channel for the glider's wheel and an upright at each corner from which hung the fuselage braces and the horizontal tail support and, over the top, the wing mount (the Arrow has a one-piece wing). I have an old trailer from an AMT kit (I think) which I would modify to suit - that's one of the reasons I was thinking of 1:24.

• 2 weeks later...