Avro Vulcan B.2, XL443, No. 83 Squadron, RAF Scampton, April 1963.

XL443 was delivered to 83 squadron at Scampton on 8th Oct 1962, fully equipped to carry Britain's nuclear deterrent, the Blue Steel and painted in anti-flash white. The aircraft remained with the unit until being flown to Woodford on 7th September 1965 to receive a retrofit with upgraded radars and sensors, etc and repainted in green/grey camouflage for low level operations. The aircraft continued to serve with the RAF until April 1983.

a3krq9.jpg

2qwgbbd.jpg

9gdpus.jpg

2805puf.jpg

More photos tomorrow ...

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Nice clean build! I Really cant decide if they look better in camo or in anti flash white....  Beautiful aircraft either way!

Edited by matt_w
  • Like 2

Lovely build mate, I always wanted Airfix to bring out the V bombers as a kid, the never did and like 1000's of others I had to make do with seeing them flying in formation over my home and school.  All that said Airfix do now and your build has inspired me to build these long over due aircraft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt_w said:

Nice clean build! I Really cant decide if they look better in camo or in anti flash white....  Beautiful aircraft either way!

I'm the same Matt, I think I like white best but then see one in late 60s grey/green with type D roundels and change my mind. I need about six Vulcans as I fancy doing one in DSG/green wraparound too.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm the same Matt, I think I like white best but then see one in late 60s grey/green with type D roundels and change my mind. I need about six Vulcans as I fancy doing one in DSG/green wraparound too.

I think that's the only way to fairly judge it!

• Like 1

A lovely job on a much missed beastie. They look good in either scheme.

(Though I do get to see 607 at Waddo a couple of times a week).

We can just about see Scampton from the bedroom window. 

In a way it's a shame they aren't still there, but really I'm glad the cold war is over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gazza l said:

A very nice addition to your growing collection of RAF aircraft... what's next up?

gazza l 

Thanks Gazza! I'm actually not sure as I'm running out of space til we move! It might be a Beagle Basset or a Meteor F.8 - possibly.

3 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Is it me ? i cant see a damm  thing , except little black crosses.  :wonder:

Not sure - I can still see the images. Anyone else?