American Air Power Museum

camper1

Hi Folks

Spent last week in New York with my wife and granddaughter,after four days of walking and shopping I'd   had enough, so ran away on Friday to visit a couple of museums on Long Island.

This was the first one which is called Republic Field and is Republic's old airfield, not much left of

them  now except the Seversky buildings which I was told are now preserved.

Most of the hangered aircraft still fly and the PBY6A will take around 3 million dollars to become a flier.

Very friendly place with the volunteers only too willing to answer any questions, the train from Penn Station takes you past Bethpage where Grumman have a Tomcat on the gate, they also have one at Calverton further out on Long Island.

I did pick the wrong day to go as the previous 2 days had benn in the high seventies Fahrenheit.

Cheers

Ian

KshUUfz.jpg
uJK3kwd.jpg
tre2AKa.jpg
PTYR7G0.jpg
wHoSjOD.jpg
9PeSrII.jpg
wbSE362.jpg
p9iclGQ.jpg
rRp26CZ.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Nice, I'd like to see more if you have any. Also I'm not familiar with the ST code on the tail of the 'vark - anyone know which

base this indicates?

Ficticious, I think. 

2 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Nice, I'd like to see more if you have any. Also I'm not familiar with the ST code on the tail of the 'vark - anyone know which

base this indicates?

It's got an AETC badge on the fin and according to Don Logans book it finished it's days at Sheppard as a ground instructional airframe, so I would guess the code stands for either Sheppard, Texas or Sheppard Trainer. The only other instances of an ST code I can find are C-130's out of Stewart AFB TN, around 1970 time.

Nice shots Ian!

The ST tail code is from Shepard AFB where the airframe was used as a maintenance and handling trainer, hence ST = Sheppard Trainer. I don't know if this is as official USAF tail code, though I doubt it.

There are several F-16s at Sheppard with the same tail code.

Sven

2 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

Looks like a nice place to visit. The layout seems to lend itself to photography, the question is, are they amenable to someone taking a load of photos for a walk round?

There was no problem roaming about the aircraft outdoors.

Only one aircraft in the hanger at the time I was there which seemed out of bounds was the P40,it sat away from other machines by fair distance given that the hanger was full.

The positioning of the aircraft probably changes frequently,I would suggest you just ask they really are a friendly bunch.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1